Wiring Harnesses  - Gauge Requirements

I think I've found a solution for avoiding Gordian Knots that can result when tying components from inside a project - TO - the Arduino -OUTSIDE the project-.

What I'm after is a wire harness that's easy to connect pins from components to a male jack on its end, which in turn would plug into a female jack that has pin end wires to go into the Arduino board's female pin jacks. Label the male & female connectors to keep track of which goes with what - and eliminate many of the "continuity challenges" I've encountered when going from Breadboarded Works to Kludged wiring in an "installed" set up - that DOES NOT work.

I'd been thinking in terms of computer/electronics stuff - crimp on 10 pins, male:female, male:male pin connectors - and the like. So I'm thinking Four Wire and maybe 5 or 6 Wire - separate colors for each wire to avoid OOPS.

Phone Wires & Jacks. Ubiquitous - most hardware stores carry all sorts of phone cables, plugs and jacks. They come in 4 Wire Handset, 4 Wire Phone To Wall Outlet, 6 Wire - and CAT 5 cables and connectors are easy to find as well.

So my question is:

Will 24 gauge wire handle the currents drawn by LEDs, PIRs, small motors and maybe small servos?

(Tired of Kludging and want neat, clean - as close to Idiot Proof - ways to connect Stuff to the Arduino 2009 once all the protyping and programmig is done)

So my question is:

Will 24 gauge wire handle the currents drawn by LEDs, PIRs, small motors and maybe small servos?

24 gauge is good to about 1/2 amp.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

(Tired of Kludging and want neat, clean - as close to Idiot Proof - ways to connect Stuff to the Arduino 2009 once all the protyping and programmig is done)

I really think a better, neater method is to develop the prototype on your Arduino/breadboard and when it's completed build the project using a standalone chip. Here is one inexpensive board that you can mount a programmed chip onto and hardwired to your external components. That leaves your Arduino board available for further development. Here is one example of a board that can easily be embedded into just about any project at minimum expense: http://www.nkcelectronics.com/arduino-runtime-board-rev-b.html

Lefty

Lefty:

At some point in the future I intend to use a smaller package - thinking a BoArduino since I want to USE a stamp controller, not make one from components. But at this point I don't want to introduce another potential source of problems - which is why I want to go from breadboarding components to the Arduino with jumper wires to wire harnesses with components soldered to one end and male and female plug connectors on the other end.

Ultimately I envision a BoArduino with a PCB with female plugs hardwired to the BoArduino. With this "master board" with plugs for basic components - LDR:Resistor Voltage Bridge, PIR, Pressure Pad, Condensor Mic SENSORS and RGB LED, Strobe LED, Piezo/Speaker, Cell Phone Vibrator and Servo ACTIONS - I can use any combination to Mix and Match. And if I've got functions -to go with them I'll have a modular hardware/software set up to experiment with USING it with my turned wood pieces like these

http://www.youtube.com/user/charlieb1946#p/u

What I have in mind are pieces that look like "normal" pieces - but have "behaviors" which can be activated by sensors - interactive pieces - that don't require actually touching them.

LOTS of possibilities for pieces using a stamp controller, some sensors and some "action" components.

And this site and its forums will become even more valuable. THANKS to the people who put it together, and the contributors who make it so valuable. I hope one day to become a contributor.