Wiring Teensy 3.2 to GLCD. Please help

Hi,

I bought a teensy 3.2 for my latest project and I'm having trouble getting the display to work. I would like to use the openGLCD library, but nothing I do can get characters to display.

I believe it is a problem with my wiring. Could someone please point me to the proper wiring of the teensy 3.2 to a ks0108B for use with openGLCD?

Teensy 3.2 is supposed to be a direct pin compatible replacement for the Teensy 3.1 so the wiring for the 3.2 should be the same. The library was fully tested on a Teensy 3.0 and others have used it on a Teensy 3.1 so the the Teensy 3.2 should work. That said I've not ever tested it on a Teensy 3.1/3.2 myself so there might be an issue.

Do not guess on how to wire it up as incorrect wiring can damage the glcd or the Teensy board. Consult the included HTML documentation for how to wire it up. The openGLCD project page has information about the documentation included in the library.

If you have already done that and are using the documented wiring, then post back with how you have everything wired up and show a photo of your teensy, pot, and glcd with all the wires are visible so we can check the wiring.

--- bill

It is wired up according to the pin mapping in Arduino pin to KS0108 Pin Function mapping Table down in the [Wiring]->[KS0108 Family] section of the documentation. In that table you will use the mappings for the line labled: Teensy 3.0/3.1/LC

There is another table on that page, KS0108 Pin Function Table that explains the ks0108 pins and how to wire up the contrast pot.

In order to wire it up, You must have the datasheet for your exact ks0108 module since different manufacturers modules use different pin numbers for the module functions/signals.

Once you have the datasheet, you will use the two tables to see how to wire it up accordingly. you will use the mapping table to see which teensy pin is wired to which glcd module function/signal. and then use the datasheet to see which glcd module pin number is used for that glcd module function/signal.

For example Teensy Arduino pin 7 is connected to the glcd module EN function/signal. You then look at the datasheet to see what pin number on the GLCD module is used for the EN signal.

--- bill

Once the wiring is believed to be correct, you will want to run the diagnostic sketch to ensure that everything is wired correctly and that display is functioning correctly.

bperrybap: Teensy 3.2 is supposed to be a direct pin compatible replacement for the Teensy 3.1 so the wiring for the 3.2 should be the same. The library was fully tested on a Teensy 3.0 and others have used it on a Teensy 3.1 so the the Teensy 3.2 should work. That said I've not ever tested it on a Teensy 3.1/3.2 myself so there might be an issue.

Do not guess on how to wire it up as incorrect wiring can damage the glcd or the Teensy board. Consult the included HTML documentation for how to wire it up. The openGLCD project page has information about the documentation included in the library.

If you have already done that and are using the documented wiring, then post back with how you have everything wired up and show a photo of your teensy, pot, and glcd with all the wires are visible so we can check the wiring.

--- bill

It is wired up according to the pin mapping in Arduino pin to KS0108 Pin Function mapping Table down in the [Wiring]->[KS0108 Family] section of the documentation. In that table you will use the mappings for the line labled: Teensy 3.0/3.1/LC

There is another table on that page, KS0108 Pin Function Table that explains the ks0108 pins and how to wire up the contrast pot.

In order to wire it up, You must have the datasheet for your exact ks0108 module since different manufacturers modules use different pin numbers for the module functions/signals.

Once you have the datasheet, you will use the two tables to see how to wire it up accordingly. you will use the mapping table to see which teensy pin is wired to which glcd module function/signal. and then use the datasheet to see which glcd module pin number is used for that glcd module function/signal.

For example Teensy Arduino pin 7 is connected to the glcd module EN function/signal. You then look at the datasheet to see what pin number on the GLCD module is used for the EN signal.

--- bill

Thanks for the response and sorry for the late response. I can't seem to find the column specifically saying teensy 3.0/3.1/LC. Could you screenshot that to me?

It is a row not a column in the table. Bring up the openGLCD library html document and then click on [Wiring]->[KS0108 Family] On that page when you scroll down a bit you will see the table called Arduino pin to KS0108 Pin Function mapping Table You will see a row labled Teensy 3.0/3.1/LC That row shows you the arduino pin # for each GLCD function which is in the columns.

--- bill

When I click on the wiring page is gives me a "file not found" error. Could you send it to me?

"Firefox can't find the file at /C:/Users/Vinnie/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp1_glcd-v3-20111205.zip/glcd/doc/html/page_ks0108_family.html."

mrneedles: When I click on the wiring page is gives me a "file not found" error. Could you send it to me?

"Firefox can't find the file at /C:/Users/Vinnie/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp1_glcd-v3-20111205.zip/glcd/doc/html/page_ks0108_family.html."

Not sure why you are getting a file issue but that path looks very strange since it contains a zip file name of a glcdv3 library. What library are you using? Are you using openGLCD or glcdv3 ?

glcdv3 is quite old and hasn't been updated since 2011. glcdv3 does not have Teensy 3.x support. I no longer support glcdv3 and haven't released an update for it in nearly 4 years.

You will need to use openGLCD with the Teensy 3.2 board.

--- bill