Wiring the Arduino Pins

I've had sort of a nightmare of loose wires, but because I plan to recycle my Arduino after this project for other uses, I am not too keen on soldering the connections to the board.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best wire gauge for the Arduino's pin outs?

I am also working with a bunch of Futaba S3003 servos, which have a female connector on the end of each one. If anyone happens to know a nice gauge of wire for fitting inside those, or a website where I could buy a male adapter for them, I'd be quite grateful if he or she would post a reply (:

I find the best way to get reliable connections is to solder wires to rows of 0.1 inch header pins. Then, I plug the header pins into the Arduino in groups or four or more (LCD 4-bit, for instance). Using a short row of pins helps to hold them in place, due to the higher friction.

22 or 24 gauge single core wire should work on the Arduino pins and the servo connector.

You may need an external power supply for those S3003 servos, I found that even one took more current under load then the Arduino board 5v line could provide.

Another option is to use some vero-, strip- or proto-board to make a customised shield with the right connections on it.

--Phil.

Cat5 cable (the one that goes inside walls, solid core). Usually free :-). And get a good wire stripper.

I too recommend the use of male header pins. Soldered to colored flat ribbon cable makes a very inexpensive and pretty reliable connector system that doesn't suck too much. ;)

Lefty

If you expect to connect many wires to the Arduino for a given project, get some of these:

http://www.nkcelectronics.com/freeduino-protoboard-breakout-shield-arduino-compatible.html

Then you can easily unplug from the project, and reconnect it without making mistakes.

I have one that I stuffed with strips of "machine pin" sockets, which make better connections to breadboard jumper wires than the sockets made for headers.

For small numbers of wires, I also like soldering header pins to them to get good connections to the header sockets on the Arduino.

Ran