Wiring VEX Motors to Arduino?

Okay, so I'm going to build this VEX EDR Robot which uses 7 VEX 393 motors.

But, I'd really like to use an Arduino board to control the robot, instead of the VEX Cortex. I'm totally new to Arduino, so does anybody have insight into how I would go about wiring these VEX motors to an Arduino? Is there a specific board that would be best for an application with this many motors? What parts would I need to get started on this?

Thanks for the help!

I'm totally new to Arduino, so does anybody have insight into how I would go about wiring these VEX motors to an Arduino?

They are standard two wire electric motors. They draw too much current to be directly connected to the Arduino, so you need a motor shield. Most motor shields can only control two motors, so you'll need 2 shields. But, of course, you can't stack 4 motors shields. So, the fact that are shield in form factor will mean nothing, and you'll need to solder wires.

The Uno and other AtMega328 based Arduino can control the speed and direction of 6 motors. The Mega and the Due can control the speed and direction of 14 motors.

To make life easier get the Vex controller for that motor.

Costs about 10$.

Uses standard RC servo pulses to move the motor so only one pin per motor controller.

Just use a standard 7.2V battery pack common for RC cars,trucks.

PaulS: They are standard two wire electric motors. They draw too much current to be directly connected to the Arduino, so you need a motor shield. Most motor shields can only control two motors, so you'll need 2 shields. But, of course, you can't stack 4 motors shields. So, the fact that are shield in form factor will mean nothing, and you'll need to solder wires.

The Uno and other AtMega328 based Arduino can control the speed and direction of 6 motors. The Mega and the Due can control the speed and direction of 14 motors.

Thanks for the help! I'll take a look at the Mega and the Due, and come up with a plan to power the motors externally from the Arduino.

justone: To make life easier get the Vex controller for that motor.

Costs about 10$.

Uses standard RC servo pulses to move the motor so only one pin per motor controller.

Just use a standard 7.2V battery pack common for RC cars,trucks.

Thanks! I'll try using the VEX motor controllers. Just for clarification, the 7.2V battery would be used to provide external power to the motors (maybe through a breadboard), and not to power the Arduino directly?

Thanks! I'll try using the VEX motor controllers. Just for clarification, the 7.2V battery would be used to provide external power to the motors (maybe through a breadboard), and not to power the Arduino directly?

The 7.2V is at the minimum input voltage for the voltage regulator on a Uno.

And no do not connect to the 5V of the Uno.

Do not know the max Voltage for those motor + controller just what is shown at that site.

I would power the Uno with the 7.2 battery thru a Step-Up/Step-Down Regulator such as sold at Pololu.

Pick a 5V one and power the Uno with it thru the 5V pin.

https://www.pololu.com/product/2119