Wiring

Hi all i have 3 ultrasonic sensors about 1meter away from my arduino, what would be the best wire to use to connect them I need 1 wire that triggers them all at the same time and then the 3 echo wires.?

Does distance(wire length) effect voltage and amps ?

Should I use solid wire or braided wire ?

Is it always better to go for a thicker wire or not?

At the moment im using I think a 2mil solid wire that they actually use in telephone wires, my sensors work fine when i connect them directly to my arduino with jumper but when I connect them with the wires they dont really want to work.

Thanks in advance chaps.

Undermentioned: Hi all i have 3 ultrasonic sensors about 1meter away from my arduino, what would be the best wire to use to connect them I need 1 wire that triggers them all at the same time and then the 3 echo wires.?

Does distance(wire length) effect voltage and amps ?

Should I use solid wire or braided wire ?

Is it always better to go for a thicker wire or not?

At the moment im using I think a 2mil solid wire that they actually use in telephone wires, my sensors work fine when i connect them directly to my arduino with jumper but when I connect them with the wires they dont really want to work.

Thanks in advance chaps.

Wire resistance increases with distance and decreases with diameter. For longer distances, it is better to use a larger diamter wire. Other variables that affect wire resistance: material and temperature.

However, since we're talking about small distances (like 1m), with small voltage (5V) and small currents (in the mA area), a 22AWG wire should be ok, or even thinner than that.

A 22AWG solid copper wire has a resistance of 52.96 milliOhm/meter.

If the connections are to suffer some mechanical fatigue, then stranded wire is prefered.

If the enviroment is prone to high EM noise, then braided wire should be used.

Great thanks for that info Alx so with other words my wires should work , back to more fault finding yay haha

Hi, If the physical area that you are covering with each of the ultra sonic units overlaps, you will have some problems. They all transmit the same frequency, so the receivers will not know if they are receiving a reflection from their respective transmitter. Also reflections occur off all surrounding surfaces, so false bounces may occur.

You may have to trigger and receive each sonic unit, one after the other.

Tom...... :) If you are having problems like this, just trigger one of the units and get that working, then add the second etc....

Thanks Tom yes they do get triggered at different times ive got a delay set up to wait for the first one to finish before the 2nd and 3rd one starts.

I wish I could change the frequency so that they all can ping at the same time but what ive read you cant do that.