WizNet Wifi to Serial Module, Some insight..

OK one of my biggest downfalls is staring at a datasheet and reading through it and not understanding anything aside from the pinout drawings. Its really frustrating.

here is the module http://www.wiznet.co.kr/Sub_Modules/en/product/product_detail.asp?Refid=411&page=1&cate1=5&cate2=43&cate3=0&pid=1132&cType=2

if you go to downloads and look at the reference schematic and then within that schematic , the first page is basically a pinout, the second i have no idea, the third i belive is how to connect the thing, and this is where i am lost. I want to implement this on a board, not necessarily an Arduino board but none the less some insight would help.

This is suppose to be a wireless module but yet is shown connected to an Rs232 ??? Using it through a UART interface would i just have to wire the corresponding pins to it... CTS RX TX RTS.. power and ground and where ready to go? I could really careless about the test leds, i am not sure if the "alarm" button are needed?

I also do not understand the power set up with the 3.3 regulator...are they just trying to imply it needs 3.3v ? if so a simple 3.3v would do just fine.. idk why they are showing a regulator plus some other things in there..

It is a wireless module that works through RS-232 signals. If it only had wireless, you couldn't quite use it with Arduino, could you?

The schematic, once you know what each of the boxes is, is not that hard to follow. If you can't read through that, then be extra careful when connecting things.

If you notice, there is a DC Jack that is expecting 5V... hence the regulators for 3,3V and also 1,8V.

To connect an Arduino to this board, you'll need to connect it to the RX and TX pins. Not sure that the CTS and RTS are needed. However, you need to make sure you're not connecting to the MAX232 shown, but directly to the chip, with the correct 3,3V to avoid problems.

Alright thanks i appreciate you actually going to the links and looking at that. Yeah i knew the max232 was not relevant to what i need it for. it was just the fact they showed the rs232 in there but it makes sense when you dont over complicate things as i was attempting to. thanks again.

eddiea6987: Alright thanks i appreciate you actually going to the links and looking at that. Yeah i knew the max232 was not relevant to what i need it for. it was just the fact they showed the rs232 in there but it makes sense when you dont over complicate things as i was attempting to. thanks again.

No worries. ;)