Workable Arduino Project ?

Hi,

This is my first post. Below is a brief summary of a project idea.
Please let me know if it can be done with the Arduino.

End user enters a PIN# via key pad.
If PIN# is valid a power relay engages - enabling a 240VAC / 40Amp device.

The project will be stand alone - not networked.

The PIN# will constantly change based on timestamp.
For example, the PIN# might be 114122016

Which corresponds to :
1 = Sunday
14 = Hour (2pm)
12 = Month (Dec)
20 = Day of Month
16 = Year (Last 2 Digits)

I will be learning the Arduino to do this project, but before I start I would like to know if the Arduino is the right platform.

Thank you,

Xriva

Yes, this is quite practical with an Arduino. I suggest you start with the Arduino UNO, plus a relay shield and a RTC Real Time Clock. I don't know which keypad to recommend, but there's a lot out there that should work fairly easily.

The RTC modules are generally not sold as shields. It's such a small module that nobody wants to dedicate a whole shield to that function. Either buy a protoshield and solder it onto that or go for one of the more elaborate data-logging shields and ignore the extra functions for this project.

Thank you - found an RTC DS3231 and some good notes on Instructables :

I also found a number of Relay Shields.

Thanks for your help !

Xriva

I personally have an aversion to shields. It seems like anything on a shield is at least $10 more expensive than just purchasing the component on a small PCB. Often the I/O pins one needs to use with a shield are not changeable so you can easily find yourself in a situation where have plenty of extra I/O pins but the two shields you want to use both use the same I/O pins. You need to bend a pin and add a jumper wire to use a different I/O pin.

I agree the Arduino could be used for this project just fine.

Start your project by learning how to program one part at a time then add another. Trying to program all at once will only add confusion. Save each working version as a separate program. This will allow you to return to a known good program when you completely stuff up adding another section to the code.

Weedpharma

Hi,

I personally have an aversion to shields. It seems like anything on a shield is at least $10 more expensive than just purchasing the component on a small PCB

I use a lot of these or similar.
s-l225.jpg

They have helped me out with quick projects.

Tom… :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
They have helped me out with quick projects.

Those look very useful.

It's also very common for people to make their own shields for Nano boards and Pro Mini boards.

Hi,
Ebay, arduino prototype shield PCB

or something like that.

Tom.... :slight_smile:
You can also get ones with an SMD breakout in one corner, ideal for 16bit DtoA IC.

DuaneDegn:
I personally have an aversion to shields. It seems like anything on a shield is at least $10 more expensive than just purchasing the component on a small PCB.

Well, if you don't need/ want shields, then you don't need a UNO.

A Nano - or Pro Mini if USB interface is not necessary other than for programming - will work nicely with stripboard. Or you can after prototyping, make a PCB on which the Nano/ Pro Mini mounts using pin headers (likely soldered), and even put components underneath.

Something like this?

Paul__B:
Well, if you don't need/ want shields, then you don't need a UNO.

A Nano - or Pro Mini if USB interface is not necessary other than for programming - will work nicely with stripboard.

I have one UNO (with a nice note about being made under license of Arduino.cc) and bunch of Pro Mini and Nano boards.(clones)

MorganS:
Something like [this?
[/quote]

Exactly.](OSH Park ~)

Gravitech also makes a bunch of add on modules for Nano's
http://search.store.yahoo.net/yhst-27389313707334/cgi-bin/nsearch?query=nano&searchsubmit=Go&vwcatalog=yhst-27389313707334&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gravitech.us%2F