Working with W5100 Shield HR911105A version with SD Card

Hi Everyone,

I have just got a new Ethernet W5100 board that I would be happy to make it work.
I can NOT make it go through the DHCP level.

I would be happy to get help on how to REALLY install the drivers needed for that and make it WORK.
I have downloaded Wiznet directory for IDE 1.6.5 - that was the latest version I could find.

I replaced the Ethernet folder with the one that came with the zip file I downloaded.
I am NOW getting Errors more then I had when it was using the Ethernet directory from within Arduino.

I am getting frustrated and I would be happy if someone can assist me with the Installation of the Shield and make it work big time.

As mentioned:
I am using IDE 1.8.5
Using the HanRun HR911105A jack on my Shield.
I would be happy if someone can tell me what is the Shield version that I am using I can’t see anything written on the PCB itself.

This is the Board I have and I am NOT able to make it work.
Please assist.

Thank you!
Arye.

connect shield to Arduino, connect the Ethernet cable to LAN or directly to router, run WebClient example of the Ethernet library

btw: the sticker on the RJ45 connector is only about the connector. has nothing to do with the shield

Thanks.

I have already done that. Connecting the Shield on the Arduino (all of the boards that I have) and connected the RJ45 cable to the switch of which DHCP is enabled on the router that it is connected to. If I connect a Raspberry Pi to the cable I get an IP from the router BUT when I connect the Shield I do NOT get any IP - it shows me IP: 0.0.0.0 instead of the IP that it should get 192.168.1.XXX

I also hardcoded the IP inside the sketch that it will not need to obtain it from the router (DHCP server) - and still it does NOT work.

Do I need to install any Ethernet Directories in order to be able to use it?
Please assist ASAP.

Thank you!

use the latest version of the Ethernet library. update it in Library Manager in IDE

Try this test sketch. If it displays 192.168.0.2, then the library and the SPI bus is working.

#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>

byte mac[] = {  0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED };
IPAddress ip(192,168,0,2);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);

// disable SD card if one in the slot
  pinMode(4,OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(4,HIGH);

Serial.println("Starting w5100");
  Ethernet.begin(mac,ip);

Serial.println(Ethernet.localIP());
}

void loop() {
}

Some knockoff ethernet shields have the incorrect value resistors on the I/O of the RJ45 socket. They should be 50 ohms. Some have 500 ohm resistors.

Thanks!!!!

Managed to upload it Correctly and it shows the IP I gave it in the Serial. :slight_smile:
But I do want it to obtain DHCP IP address, How can that be done?
How can I ping it? use the examples for it?
I would be happy to know.

Thank You

did you try the examples from the latest Ethernet library version?

Jus did, and I have built my own sketch and it is working right now - can ping and view it from the browser using port 80. thanks.

I know that it is early for me but - since it is there - Is it hard to use the Ethernet and SD in a sketch? I wonder if I can use it as a weather station with a Logger.

One thing that I am puzzled by is: The Shield works ONLY when it connected directly to the Router and NOT from a Switch. I am using a regular cable that I use all the time - and IT works ONLY from the Router itself - Do I need a crossover cable?

Thanks so much!

Ethernet + SD is OK, but not with Uno. SD uses 500 bytes of RAM for cache.

I have a web server with files on SD card in my project.

Juraj:
Ethernet + SD is OK, but not with Uno.

What makes you say that? It should work ok as a data logger as long as you don't run out of SRAM.

SurferTim:
What makes you say that? It should work ok as a data logger as long as you don't run out of SRAM.

I did't say it will not work for some example, but if you use HTTP you need strings and you run out of flash.

Thanks.
So if not with UNO - then what should I use?
BTW - I have figured out that the switch I had was no good and I replaced it with an industrial 3COM 8 ports and everything works :slight_smile:

aryeduino:
So if not with UNO - then what should I use?

ATMEGA4809 (in a future), Atmega1284, Mega, Zero/M0, MKR, Due