Workplace Monitor - How to?

Hi Community,

As a n00b i'm happy so see there's a "Project Guidance" forum :slight_smile:

I'm currently thinking about making a workplace monitor. An arduino reading several sensors like temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, etc. I want to gather the info from these sensors and publish the values to a website every 5 minutes. I want to read the sensors each 60 seconds. The values have to be send through wireless networking.

I'm wondering;

• Every 5 minutes the Arduino gathers 5 states of the sensor-data. How would you guys gather the data in code? Just write it to variables/arrays?
  • What materials do I need to transfer data to a wireless network?
  • The wireless network I want to connect to does not need a user/pass, but needs an approval to use. How can I use such a network programmatically?

Thanks in advance,
Joost

Most of it is easy. A common recommendation is an esp8266 for the Web client to post regularly the aggregated data to your web/database server. If it is already existing, what web/database server have you access to ?

But :

• The wireless network I want to connect to does not need a user/pass, but needs an approval to use. How can I use such a network programmatically?

How does this security work ? Is it an IP address or Mac Address based access control list or what is it ?

What's the security setup for the wifi? wpa2? I see some web chatter as recently as last year with folks having trouble with wpa2-enterprise and an esp8266. May want to do a little research on that solution.

Are you the owner of the business?

As the owner of a small business, if one of my employees did what you are proposing, they would be fired immediately and if asked for a reference for a new employer, they would be told you were let go because of being a security risk.

What goes on inside a company stays inside the company unless it's something illegal.

Paul