Workshop in AZ?

any one know if there is a workshop coming up in Arizona, or if there are other people that want to learn arduino maybe we can organize one?

Hey Jayson,

I’m in AZ quite a bit, and I was just contemplating organizing one there.

I didn’t find anything on this board about previous events, and with ASU, and all of the semiconductor manufacturers in AZ, I think it would be a great place to hold one.

What type of workshop are you thinking of? How long, what topics, should products be offered for sale at the event, etc… I’m thinking that maybe an event something like this might be a good way to get a large number of people started: http://tinkerit.eventwax.com/back-to-school-arduino-beginners

Hello

Where in AZ are you?

In january I’ll be in Tucson for 2 weeks, it would be nice to see if there is any arduino fan there :slight_smile:

massimo

Hi Massimo -

I’m actually in Phoenix, but i live in the very southern part which is somewhat close to Tucson (about 90 miles). In fact if you are flying into Phoenix, and driving to Tucson you will be driving near my house.

When will you be in AZ, and will you be in Phoenix at all? If so, perhaps we can meet for a coffee or beer.

Cheers,
33W

I'd go to a beginner's workshop if one showed up in Tucson or Phoenix. :)

Hello Arizonians

My plans are finalised... I'm going to be in Tucson between the 5th and the 15th of January.

If there are any Arduino users in tucson who want to meet let me know!

massimo

I grew up in Tucson, but now am across the country. Unfortunately, both Boston and NYC are a fair drive away... nothing ever happens closer.

P.S., it's "Arizonan" not "Arizon*i*an." :)

I would be interested in meeting in Tucson. I have to admit I am a total newb to Arduino, but not electronics. I don't even have my first Arduino yet , as it looks like the one I just ordered was stolen from the mail. :'(

I found out about Arduino from an article about its use at the UA Science Center (I actually volunteer there as a telescope operator). So, I'm excited to see what they will be doing with it.

Yea Tucson! I live in Tucson & would lave to see a workshop in town.

I live in the Phoenix area; currently I am using the Arduino as the controller for a medium-scale UGV. The Arduino is being set up to take commands from an on-board PC via USB serial, and those commands are interpreted to control the steering servo, driving motors, and a custom pan/tilt camera head unit (yet to be built; a prototype does exist).

The steering will be accomplished via a larger DC gear-motor and potentiometer (think custom large-scale servo); right now it is using a simple window-comparison algorithm, but in the future I expect to incorporate PID.

The on-board command-and-control PC is an Intel Atom mobo with 1 Gb DDR, with a small 250 Gb RAID composed of 2.5" SATA storage, running Ubuntu. Control will be accomplished via a custom LAMP-based SSL browser application front-end accessible via encrypted 802.11g.

That's just for starters. Right now, I am not asking for any help, volunteers or donations until I am further into the project (or completed with phase 1); I originally started this project alone, and then a co-worker joined up in the project and helped it along, until he decided to pursue other goals. However, I am interested in hearing of any meetups or such, or sharing ideas, tips, etc.

I am learning a lot about the Arduino, and having a lot of fun developing the systems for the UGV; last night I discovered http://fritzing.org/ via another posting on these forums - if you haven't experienced it, please go and try it! Imagine going from breadboarded prototype to schematic to finished PCB layout, all within one piece of design software! Imagine being able to take that PCB layout as a Gerber file and sending it to Sparkfun (or another boardhouse) and (after paying a sum of money) receiving etched PCBs back in the mail. How much would you pay for such software? (How much have you paid for EagleCAD?) - can you say GPL...

I believe that the Arduino, Fritzing, and the Contraptor project (if you haven't checked out Contraptor - http://www.contraptor.org/ - its another open-source hardware endeavor) form a potentially synergistic tool kit that can allow an open-source hardware revolution to occur.

I can easily see someone bootstrapping a business from playing around with an Arduino, then moving to prototyping a circuit in Fritzing, and then using the output of that Fritzing design to drive a custom Contraptor automated board etching, SMT pick-and-place, and solder reflow robotic assembly line to produce it - in their garage (or apartment, or basement, or storage unit, etc).

I would also love to see a workshop in Tucson or Phoenix. I have just bought my first Arduino and have a cool little project going. I am interfacing it with Adobe Flash to sync some LEDS to music. Next step will be to use SSRs to drive my Christmas lights.