Would Skype run on an Arduino

hello all i was wondering if i could run skype soly off an arduino. from my understanding i would need the main board possibly an audio sheild and the ethernet sheild.

any help with this would be appriciated.

Which version of Skype would you download? The one for Windows? The one for Macs? The Linux version? I don't recall seeing an Arduino version...

You won't be able to put skype on an arduino. Skype is inherintly OS based, as PaulS said, and the arduino doesn't really have an OS. That said, it might be possible to make something like skype. You would need a microphone and some method of playing sound. How feasible this would be, I don't know, I'm geussing it would be severely stretching the abilities of the arduino if you can make it work.

If you're going to try, good luck :)

If Skype runs on Linux, you're looking at a bare minimum for a gumstix or a beagle board.

Something like an asus WL-520GU router can be combined with a USB sound stick for mic and speaker audio, actually set one up as a web audio stream player, but the video was a serial terminal display. If Skype could run from the command line, without a lot of visual eyecandy, it could be doable.

If Skype could run from the command line, without a lot of visual eyecandy, it could be doable

I doubt it, it needs to assemble IP packets into audio output and that is several orders of magnitude of processing power above what the arduino has.