Wow - this Arduino stuff actually works!

Picked up my first Arduino this morning (Duemilanove) and just had a quick play with it.

I’m impressed.

Everything worked absolutely fine and I got the LED blinking and Button examples up and running in no time. Plus, I’m pleased to say the board seems surprisingly resiliant to short circuits and I only exploded one LED in the process. ;D

Some one just screamed… Resistant to shorts implies you tested! Seriously, get some insulation tape on the bottom at least!

It was a slightly shakey start but all is well.

Must be my lucky day… I even found the half of red LED in my cup of tea before I took a big drink.

Oh… it LITERALLY exploded…

Not just blown out.

How’d you manage that?

Yes, it quite literally went bang and sent bits of [what ever kind of plastic they’re made of] shooting into the air. Still looking for the half that didn’t land in the cup… presumably it has a leg still attached to it…

I have some great LEDs with very wide tolerances to voltage. This was not one of them. In retrospect, attaching an unknown old LED to 5V (and perhaps backwards in the circuit - kind of hard to tell when only leg is left in the breadboard) wasn’t smart.

After I adopted a slightly more methodical approach, everything worked beautifully.

After I adopted a slightly more methodical approach, everything worked beautifully.

I think that’s true of life in general.

Nice :slight_smile:

I already plug a full 9 Volt battery on a Led without protection and it didn’t blow up, I’m very jealous now :-[

I already plug a full 9 Volt battery on a Led without protection and it didn’t blow up, I’m very jealous now

Goes to show how wimpy a standard 9 volt battery is. :sunglasses:

next time I’m going 250Volts ;D

Hahaha. I’ve had some of these LEDs for a very long time.

yea I have only seen the old ones blow up, or at least crack, new ones just burn out

Yeah, the most exciting thing I’ve ever done is release the magic smoke :(.

Then it just lingers in the upstairs of my house for about 4 hours (even with windows open) haha. ;D

Ive had some linger in my attic from a vintage radio for 5 days. The fans cycle in fresh air twice a day. Didn’t go up without a mask for a mounth.
On another note, i once blew up a brick.

How many volts did you use to blow up the brick?

I just have to make a post before the forum lets me make a post with links in it.

I used a few thosuand volts, and a “condenser” to blow it up. Who knew that they were explosive.