Writing a serial number to UNO

I have just found the neat routine to read fuse, lock bits, etc. submitted by "westfw" in the forum in Oct. 2010. Works like a charm!

I notice he looks for a serial number in the upper 6 bytes of EEPROM that has the format "UNO" followed by a three byte number. This sounds like an excellent way to identify particular boards and keep track of their history.

Is this commonly done? Is this the standard way to identify boards (other than a grease pencil)?

That's certainly one way. You could come up with any protocol you wanted, here's an example:

Use 1 btye - 3 bits would indicate 1 of 8 board types (Uno, Promini, Mega, standalone V1, V2, V3, V4), and 5 bits would indicate S/Ns from 2 to 31. The 0 bit could be used as simple parity to determine if the byte was good. Or use 1 for the board type, from 2 to 254 models (255 indicating unwritten address), parts indicating clock speed, serial interface available, bit 0 as parity again, and the 2nd for serial number from 2 to 254.

I think you can get the idea and run with it from there.

Thanks, CrossRoads. I just wondered if there was an accepted standard. Three bytes is a bit more than I need - I don't plan on acquiring boards by the thousand. I hope you're not wallowing in snow.

We didn't get much ourselves, just a few inches if that. The trees all have their leaves still, so lots of branches down. Farther west they got like 30 inches, way too early in the season for that.