Wrong board description - Clone UNO

I recently purchased a DIYMORE clone Arduino UNO (replacing genuine one I blew up) It has ATMEL M328P chip and WKH CH340 USB chip Using Windows 10

I could not get this to work Errors about not in Syn and Programmer not responding. Loop test failed. Ensured correct board and COM selected. Tried different PC. No go

I reinstalled CH340 driver (though my Mega 2560 with same chip worked OK) I reinstalled IDE Nothing would allow upload

Then I saw YouTube suggestion to try different board names in IDE

Found that board works (at least with simple 'Blink' test - haven't tried more complicated developed sketch) by selecting in IDE Pro or Pro Mini. Also works by selecting Lilypad Arduino (although stops with error in upload but after a second successfully uploads. If all I have to do is remember to select Pro or Pro Mini and it works, I don't care

This might be helpful info for others with clone problems

How can this happen? Has the wrongly named bootloader been loaded to M328P chip. Can I re-burn to correct it (though why bother)?

It could be that it's using the wrong bootloader, which is set to communicate at 57600 baud.

It could be that it's using the normal Uno bootloader, but the microcontroller is running at 8 MHz instead of the expected 16 MHz, which means that you need to communicate with the bootloader at 1/2 (8 MHz / 16 MHz) the normal baud rate: 115200 baud * 1/2 = 57600 baud. That could be caused by the microcontroller using the internal 8 MHz oscillator instead of the usual external 16 MHz resonator, or that the external clock is 8 MHz instead of the usual 16 MHz.

You could easily check this by setting Tools > Board > Arduino Pro or Pro Mini and Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (5V, 16 MHz), uploading Blink, then checking whether the LED blinks at 0.5 Hz (1 second on, 1 second off), or 0.25 Hz (2 seconds on, 2 seconds off). If the blink is at half the expected speed of 0.5 Hz then you know the clock is 8 MHz.

Hello Pert

Thanks for response

Did as you suggested and 1 sec on 1 sec off is maintained. Also red text at bottom of IDE says Over riding to 57600 baud Oscillator on board marked as 16000 So I guess all will be OK if I just select Pro or Pro Mini

My application is to operate stepper motors on a robotic arm so operating frequency is not critical to me

Selecting Lilypad Arduino also shows over riding to 57600 baud but blink rate is twice speed - half sec on half sec off

Having to select other than UNO (when it is supposed to be a UNO) in IDE is a trap for buyers and not documented widely

Thanks again for your interest

wandiligong: Did as you suggested and 1 sec on 1 sec off is maintained. Also red text at bottom of IDE says Over riding to 57600 baud Oscillator on board marked as 16000 So I guess all will be OK if I just select Pro or Pro Mini

Looks like the idiots who made the clone put the wrong bootloader on it.

wandiligong: My application is to operate stepper motors on a robotic arm so operating frequency is not critical to me

This doesn't affect the operating frequency.

wandiligong: Selecting Lilypad Arduino also shows over riding to 57600 baud but blink rate is twice speed - half sec on half sec off

That's because the Lilypad is a 8 MHz board so the code thinks the microcontroller is running half as fast as it really is.

wandiligong: Having to select other than UNO (when it is supposed to be a UNO) in IDE is a trap for buyers and not documented widely

If the board was properly made, this would never be an issue. So the only place it needs to be documented is by the manufacturer and sellers of the faulty product. Or, better yet, they could just make it right in the first place.

wandiligong: Can I re-burn to correct it

Yes.

wandiligong: (though why bother)?

If none of those issue bother you, then there is likely no need for you to change the bootloader.

Hello Pert

Thank you for very comprehensive answer

I have ordered an ISP Programmer and will experiment with burning correct bootloader (not attempted before)

Meanwhile at least I can get on with developing my main sketch with a working Arduino, and looking out for issues you listed

Thanks again