Wrong device being detected when uploading bootloader

I have a couple of pro micro boards (Leonardo). When I try to upload a the bootloader it fails with the following message.

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Linux), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

/snap/arduino/50/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/snap/arduino/50/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -carduinoisp -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xcb:m -Uhfuse:w:0xd8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xff:m 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/snap/arduino/50/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/jason/snap/arduino/50/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : arduinoisp
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x2341/0x49)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.

Leonardo's aren't a USBtiny device that I know of and the ids are 2a03 0036. This is what I get if I Get Board Info.

What would the problem be.

Also it loses USB connection after about 10 seconds.

The USBtiny device is the "ArduinoISP" programmer you have selected from the Tools > Programmer menu. This error is usually caused by selecting that programmer when you are actually using an "Arduino as ISP" programmer. Despite the similar names, these are completely different programmers and can't be used interchangeably.

So if you're actually using an "Arduino as ISP" programmer, simply select Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP and the error will go away.

I am plugging the Leo directly into the laptop, no other Arduino attached.

You need an ISP programmer to burn the bootloader. It's impossible to burn the bootloader over the Pro Micro's USB connection.

If you don't own an ISP programmer, you can turn a spare Arduino board into an "Arduino as ISP" programmer by following this tutorial:

If you're using a Pro Micro as an "Arduino as ISP", make sure to select Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP (ATmega32U4).

Can I use an Atmel ISP II

If you mean an Atmel AVRISP mk II (or clones thereof), then yes that can definitely be used. Tools > Programmer > AVRISP mk II

Cool. I have a couple of those.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.