Wrong or no bootloader on ebay ATMega328P-PU?

I bought some ATMega329P-PU chips to build Arduinos on a breadboard. They were described as follows:

AVR ATMEGA328P-PU Microcontroller IC With ARDUINO UNO Bootloader Flash

I wanted to check the chips and so I removed an ATMega328P-PU from a working Arduino Uno v.3.0 and replaced it with one of the new chips. I found that I could not upload the blink sketch to the Uno. I tried this with two more chips with the same result. The orientation was correct. I returned the original chip and the Arduino worked correctly.

Can I assume the chips do not have the correct bootloader?

Ya, no bootloader, you got it wired wrong or in worst case scenario it's a small brick/fake.. Sparkfun had a similar problem when they ordered from china I believe, read this: ATmega Slugs - News - SparkFun Electronics

You can program your UNO with the Arduino ISP sketch (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP), and try putting the bootloader on these chips.. If it doesn't work, well, you got yourself some fake IC's that you can use to practice soldering..

//Basel

I've already tried to program a bootloader - same link as you suggested - and it didn't work. I'm 100% sure my wiring is correct and so I guess these chips are bad. Looks like I'll have to make a PayPal claim...

Can I assume the chips do not have the correct bootloader?

OR... perhaps not the correct fuse settings.

Ray

Yes, this is what I'm thinking of, too. You can check the fuses and also the signature of the chip. Then you will see if it's a ATmega328P or not and how the fuses are set. I did the same and wrote a post in my blog about this:

Elektrix

bulan:
I'm 100% sure my wiring is correct and so I guess these chips are bad. Looks like I'll have to make a PayPal claim...

of course wiring is correct if you are simply plugging it into a uno. aside from qfp pins broken off, few of the couple thousand (no exaggeration) ive purchase from china were really defective. im sure it could happen some day. maybe im just lucky. ebay protection is great but i always make sure there is a real problem before opening a case. its estimated 90% of products refunded as defective or "not as described" are actually ok. unfortunately sellers are often unjustly penalized due to "noob-itis".

its true bad fuse is common issue for chips that have been dicked with. but most likely cause of arduino problems out-of-the-box is incorrect baud rate or device signature for those bootloaders that send it. i make it a point to try each entry in the board list just to make sure.