I've been working with Ken Shirriff's IR library and WS2801 Sparkfun as well as FastSPI code.
Issue: When the LED's are on, the IR controls to change light sequences are very unreliable/non-responsive.
- Arduino UNO
- IR receiver is KSM-603LM
- IR receiver output (pin 1) goes to Arduino input on pin 7
- WS 2801 Clock is connected to Arduino Pin 13
- WS 2801 Data is connected to Arduino Pin 11
- I've also tried the clock and data on different pins
- I get valid data when using Ken's library with my IR remote
- I can create lots of light sequences using the Sparkfun as well as FastSPI libraries
- I can control which sequence to display, albeit the controls become non-responsive
With the help of a scope, I see that:
- When the LED's are OFF, pin 7 is almost always high, with just a few 0V spikes.
- When the LED's are on, pin 7 is has continuous 5V / 0V signals.
What I have done is:
- Stripped out all unnecessary circuitry and inspected and shortened connecting wires.
- Wrote some simple test code to duplicate the results.
- Powered unit with alternately with USB power, AC adapter power and even just a 7.4V NiMh battery (with no USB).
- Put 10pf through 10uf capacitors across Vcc and Gnd at the IR sensor (pins 2-gnd and 3-Vcc).
After all that, my conclusion is that this sensor is OVERLY sensitive and that I need to find one that's less so. Don't know what though.
Any other thoughts/recommendations or things I could be missing?
PS, what a struggle.