WS2812B Data line current consumption?

Hi, I'm new to arduino but excited to explore possibilities!

I'm trying to add internal lights to a scale model I've built and so I've got a range of LEDs from standard 5V LED strips (of a single colour) to individual LEDs, some flashing in sync, others executing a sequence controlled by an Arduino UNO. Among the lights is 5 strips of WS2812B which will also be controlled by the Arduino UNO. I'm trying to work out how i will power the system as i know that the UNO has certain power limits and the one question mark I have still is how much current does the Data IN pin to control a WS2812B strip consume?

I know these are the UNO limitations:

I/O pins absolute max 40mA, ideally run at around 20mA per pin
I/O pins must not draw more than 200mA absolute maximum across all pins

And that here are my requirements for those LEDs that will need some control by the Arduino UNO:

2 x bi-colour LEDs (only one colour per LED on at a given time) = 2 x 20mA = 40mA
5 x blinking individual LEDs = 5 x 20mA = 100mA
5 x WS2812B strips of 14 cells each = max. 5 x 14 x 60 = 4.2A

So I think I'm ok to power and thereby control all of the normal LEDs directly from the UNO's digital I/O pins as long as I power the WS2812Bs externally but control them through the UNO.

Therefore I need to know how much current does each data line consume per ws2812b strip so as to know if I am still below the UNO's total current limit. I realise this may be a stupid question but I can't seem to find anything about it in the product details or online (probably I'm sure because it is a stupid question). I assume 5V will be the output from the PWM pin on the arduino and that if i add a resistor before the first LED on the data line this will change the current? But without the resistor what is the current, is there a way of calculating it?

How much current does the Data IN pin to control a WS2812B strip consume?

Don't know. Far too little to be concerned about.

PerryBebbington:
Far too little to be concerned about.

+1

narsg28:
I assume 5V will be the output from the PWM pin on the arduino and that if i add a resistor before the first LED on the data line this will change the current? But without the resistor what is the current, is there a way of calculating it?

No, nothing to do with current.
The resistor is there to absorb standing waves in long connection wires.
Google "termination resistor" and "transmission lines".
Leo..

narsg28:
how much current does the Data IN pin to control a WS2812B strip consume[/u][/b]?

±1 μA maximum according to the datasheet. :roll_eyes:

Paul__B:
±1 μA maximum according to the datasheet. :roll_eyes:

Probably considerable more when transferring data due to capacitive loads, but mostly it do not matter, because normal outputs can deliver enough current. If you want to drive many strips in parallel it may be necessary to calculate on the capacitive load, the static value is insignificant.