WS2812B Lighting Project - Wiring and Setup Questions

(deleted)

showcase schematic.pdf (182 KB)

Oh dear!

Please do not use PDFs to post images - they are not a proper image format. While not the original purpose, PDFs are commonly used to obscure information so that it cannot be re-used.

Showcase_Schem.png

ellenteja:
currently I am planning a small project with WS2812B LED strips

Why do you want to use WS2812 - individually addressable LEDs?

ellenteja:

1. I was planning to use larger wires (maybe around 22 to 20AWG) for GND and 5V going from the bottom to the top and smaller wires (maybe 26AWG) connecting them to the Pins of the LED strips.

Reasonable, but might as well use the same gauge because of something I will mention.

ellenteja:
2) From other forum posts I've read that it is better to include a 1000uF capacitor between 5V and GND to account for voltage drops in the power supply.

A proper power supply will not have "voltage drops". This is called "decoupling".

ellenteja:
Would it be good to put a small resistor in series with the capacitor to limit the current when power is switched on?

That would completely defeat any purpose of using a capacitor. :astonished:

ellenteja:
3) Also, it was suggested to add a 470 Ohms resistor between the Arduinos data pin and the LED strips data pin

Mounted at the "Data in" connection at the start of the strip itself.

ellenteja:
and to keep the GND wire close to the data wire to prevent noise.

You keep all three wires together as a bundle for that reason. Everywhere. No open loops.

ellenteja:
4) I want to use a 5V10A PSU for the LEDs so it should be more than enough. Is it okay to power the Arduino/ESP32 from the same power supply through the Vin pin or would you suggest to use an additional one?

You do not power Arduinox through "Vin" . "Vin" on an ESP8266 would be the 5 V Vcc terminal on the WeMOS D1 Mini. Why would you want to use an ESP32 for this?

To use an ESPxx - which is 3.3 V logic - you need a 74HCT14 level converter to drive your WS2812s.

ellenteja:
5) Lastly, I was also worrying about the length of the wires, especially the data wire. From the PSU to the top board it is 1.60m and each board has a width of 0.6m.
So for the 5V wire, the maximum length would be around 2.8m, and for GND and data around 2.2m to the highest board.

Not too much of a problem as long as you keep the wires bundled together.

ellenteja:
I'm not sure if the resistances of the wires would make the top LEDs less bright and if the LEDs could properly receive the data signal at such a length.

If the resistance of the wires is excessive, whites will turn yellow. The data is less of a problem.

While you do need to power the strips at both ends, you do not seem to understand how the data works. You show data connections to both ends of the strip.

(deleted)

The WS2812 individually addressable LEDs are used where you wish to generate patterns, generally animated patterns.

If it is for simply producing a uniform colour, you really should not use them, a basic "RGB" strip operates at 12 V with each three LEDs in a series group, having four connections - the common positive and R, G and B terminals. Further, if you do not want automated intensity or colour changes, there is no reason to use an Arduino, the basic controllers (including remotes) are cheap and effective.

And if you do not want colour, of course there are white versions which may allow variation between "cool" and "warm" white.

So perhaps you should explain just what it the purpose of your project?