WS2812B Soft blue led strip problem.

Hi,

I have a project with some WS2812B rgb led strips. I have 114 LEDs, at the same time a maximum of 20 LEDs light up together. 6 of these remain on 24/7. After 2 months, the 6 LEDs that are always on began to turn yellow, while the other LEDs remained unchanged. I have inquired and many say that this problem could be caused by the yellowing of the epoxy resin they are covered with, caused by heat. But I don't think that's my case. I did several tests, turning on only the red or only the green, the lights seem identical, even in the yellowed LEDs. Turning on only the blue LED instead you notice that the yellowed one emits a much softer light than the others. So I think my problem is due to the fact that the blue LED emitting less light creates this yellowing effect when for example I go to turn on all the LEDs together to create white. I am attaching some photos of the lit LEDs. The power supply used is 5V 2A, which should be enough for 20 LEDs lit at the same time. The led strips were cut into strips of 10 leds each, and joined with a 20 awg wire. The problem occurs even if I connect only that led to the arduino. Does anyone have any idea why the blue led is dimmer? Could it only be due to the poor quality of the strip?

Images

Diffused LEDs:

IMG-1532 — ImgBB (Note that the first led is less bright)

Strip:

IMG-1534 — ImgBB (Note that the first led is less bright)

PS: in the photos I have attached, the yellowed led is the first from the top. The one below is normal.

tintillamilano:
Turning on only the blue LED instead you notice that the yellowed one emits a much softer light than the others. So I think my problem is due to the fact that the blue LED emitting less light

Correct.

tintillamilano:
Does anyone have any idea why the blue led is dimmer? Could it only be due to the poor quality of the strip?

It is certainly looking that way.

By the way, do you know what a paragraph is?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.