X Y Z distances of two different points

Hello guys I need to get X Y Z distances between 2 different points. Here is an example of what I want to do: I want to find the distances between the X Y and Z coordinates of two different corners of a room ceiling. I want to do this wirelessly. IR or different sensors or camera with using calibration pattern (I don't know). Distance between points and arduino(or me) is maximum 10 meter. How can I get the X Y and Z distances between this 2 points?

Use measuring tape.

I suspect that Reply #1 is really the most practical solution.

You may be able to use an ultrasonic or laser range finder to calculate the perpendicular distance from a point in the room to each of the walls and the ceiling and then from that calculate the coordinates of the point where the sides meet.

Using a camera and image recognition software would be far beyond the capabilities of an Arduino. And I'm not sure how the camera would identify a corner.

...R

corner is easy, use Hough transformation: https://opencv-python-tutroals.readthedocs.io/en/latest/py_tutorials/py_imgproc/py_houghlines/py_houghlines.html

Hello again, thanks for the answers.

zwieblum:
Use measuring tape.

Unfortunetly I must use sensor software etc.

Robin2:
I suspect that Reply #1 is really the most practical solution.

You may be able to use an ultrasonic or laser range finder to calculate the perpendicular distance from a point in the room to each of the walls and the ceiling and then from that calculate the coordinates of the point where the sides meet.

Using a camera and image recognition software would be far beyond the capabilities of an Arduino. And I'm not sure how the camera would identify a corner.

...R

I want to do something like this: Imagine that two pipes are at different points in the house and I want to connect them. To calculate the pipe I will use among them, I need to know their coordinates (or rather their distance from each other). I want to learn this.

orge:
I want to do something like this: Imagine that two pipes are at different points in the house and I want to connect them. To calculate the pipe I will use among them, I need to know their coordinates (or rather their distance from each other). I want to learn this.

The problem is that there isn’t an existing solution to be learned.

And, to make things more complicated, “different points in the house” could be in different rooms without any direct line of sight between them.

Unfortunetly I must use sensor software etc.

Why?

Perhaps if you explain that it would be easier to make a suggestion.

…R

orge:
I want to do something like this: Imagine that two pipes are at different points in the house and I want to connect them.

For pipes or wires you have to calculate the Manhattan distance of the points, most probably also the distances from some points in between. Hint: you won't have a pipe go straight from one wall to the opposite one.

Best you get a plan of the building and lay out the route manually, according to local building rules. Then your program can read several points of the intended route and compute their Manhattan distances.

Lidar, with a more powerful processor than the Uno, and some human interaction to identify the points that represent the ends of the pipes (or corners), could give you the coordinates.

Check this out...using an STM32: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/hobby-lidar-build/msg1567591/

From a hobby lidar scanner...the builder's backyard:
Annotation 2020-02-27 125916.jpg

Possibly do-able with a Teensy or maybe ESP32.

Annotation 2020-02-27 125916.jpg

If you want to cut a piece of pipe to join two others it will need to be accurate +/- a few millimetres - can LiDar do that?

Can it measure through a wall?

If the OP was using a tape measure this job would have been finished a long time ago. :slight_smile:

...R

Na, marketing will solve that little details.

Robin2:
If you want to cut a piece of pipe to join two others it will need to be accurate +/- a few millimetres - can LiDar do that?

Nope, not with hobbyist lidar. But maybe within an inch or two is good enough for the OP. He/she hasn't said. (And the OP's primary need is not clear: first, it was locating two corners of a room. Then it was ends of two pipes. Next... )

Robin2:
Can it measure through a wall?

Nope, but if the location of each "setup" is known, the point clouds can be combined. It's done all the time in the process industry for as-builting complex piping.

Robin2:
If the OP was using a tape measure this job would have been finished a long time ago. :slight_smile:

No fun in that! :slight_smile: