X10 & Arduino - Trying to figure things out...

The boss (wife) actually approved a project; timer control of the lights in the kids room. So, now I need to figure out what to buy before she turns off the budget.

I'm finding a ton of different information, maybe because things in the x10 world have changed recently?

I'm open to all suggestions at this point.

I currently have an Arduino UNO and a mega, either of which could be used for this, but it seems like the UNO would be pretty sufficient at this point. I need an x10 controller (2-way transceiver), maybe something like a TM751 or CM15A? Then, to control the light light in the kids room, I will need a switch in the wall like a WS467.

Anything else that will be needed, like resistors, etc for circuit protection?

Long term plans might include. Turning on lights in the shed (about 100ft away) from the house. opening garage door opening gate to driveway blah, blah....

Your requirements for future are different than the current project in the sense that you want somewhat remote control. While X10 is an automation standard for using the existing wiring in your home and you should look at https://github.com/DougC/arduino-x10 if you want to go that route. If you want remote capability a wifi, bluetooth or ethernet shield can give you that ability paired with a relay board you can turn appliances on an off remotely. An example would be duinomote www.zing-zoom.com/duinomote which allows you to communicate with your arduino board from your android device and actually writes most of the Arduino code to do it.

I need an x10 controller (2-way transceiver), maybe something like a TM751 or CM15A?

If you can get by with one way communication, the CM17A firecracker is very simple to use. All you need is the CM17a, the wall receiver, three wires, and code.

Thanks for the responses guys!

glarenzie: Your requirements for future are different than the current project in the sense that you want somewhat remote control. While X10 is an automation standard for using the existing wiring in your home and you should look at https://github.com/DougC/arduino-x10 if you want to go that route. If you want remote capability a wifi, bluetooth or ethernet shield can give you that ability paired with a relay board you can turn appliances on an off remotely. An example would be duinomote www.zing-zoom.com/duinomote which allows you to communicate with your arduino board from your android device and actually writes most of the Arduino code to do it.

I will look into the links a little more, thank you. I have been frustrated trying to find specs on wifi ranges. I have a shed about 75ft from the house and a well house about 200ft from the house. There are some trees in the way as well. I took the laptop outside and was able to pick up a wifi signal outside the nearest shed, but didn't get anything at the well house. There are booster antennas available, but again, they don't offer much in guidance how far they extend the signal.

Anyone have experience with wifi antennas?

zoomkat:

I need an x10 controller (2-way transceiver), maybe something like a TM751 or CM15A?

If you can get by with one way communication, the CM17A firecracker is very simple to use. All you need is the CM17a, the wall receiver, three wires, and code.

I made the assumption that with 2 way transcievers, the arduino would be able to tell if the light was on or not. My code could then be based on the real physical condition of the lights?

Again, thanks for the responses. jason