Xbee adapter needed?

Hi,

I had recently bought two of the newer xbee's series 2's. XBee 2mW Series 2.5 Wire Antenna - WRL-08695 - SparkFun Electronics and was wondering if I would have to buy the xbee adapter kit to interface it with the arduino.. XBee Adapter kit [v1.1] : ID 126 : $10.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
(If you know of a better adapter or one which you dont need to assemble please let me know as my soldering is not exactly the best)

I was looking at the manual and the pin descriptions and was hoping to just connect the pins to the arduino, but was confused where I should connect the serial tx and rx pins from the arduino. (I do realize that the pins do not line up) Would I have to connect it to the analog input/output pins on the xbee?

If anyone has a link or more information about using the xbee without the adapter that would be great. Or would you guys recommend using the adapter?

On another note, could I just use the xbees on their own to transmit say a microphone signal using the analog input/output pins on the xbee and have an amplifier circuit on the receiving end?

Thanks in advance.

I had recently bought two of the newer xbee's series 2's.

Why? It's hard to form a mesh with only 2 nodes.

Or would you guys recommend using the adapter?

Use the adapter.

let me know as my soldering is not exactly the best

You should practice, then.

could I just use the xbees on their own to transmit say a microphone signal using the analog input/output pins on the xbee

Yes, maybe...

and have an amplifier circuit on the receiving end?

Maybe. Depends on what you are trying to send/receive. Streaming audio? Forget it.