Xbee and Arduino and DS18S20

Hi there,
First of all, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. I have 2 Xbee S1's 2 xbee shields from: http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-xbee-shield-module-for-zigbee-arduino-uno-duemilanove-mega-1280-2560.html and I have 2 arduinos and a handful of DS18S20 temperature sensors. I have the temperature sensors all worked out but the Xbees aren't cooperating. I am not able to send communications from one arduino to another or vice versa. All help is appreciated!

L

Detatils, Details.
Where's your sketch/code?
Maybe a drawing of your setup?
[Note -- It's BAD to put 5V Arduino/328 into the XBee input.]

To answer your question I don't have any code but I would like to have an arduino uno on one end have a pushbutton switch and an arduino leonardo on the other end both with the xbee shields and have it turn on and off an led depending on the state of the switch on the uno. Now I have a question concerning the sainsmart xbee shield. Does it have level converter circuitry built in or do I need to add that??? Are there any other details I can provide???
Thanks,
L

I have 2 Xbee S1's

You haven't told us anything about how they are configured.

I would like to have an arduino uno on one end have a pushbutton switch and an arduino leonardo on the other end

When that works with wires between the Arduinos, replacing the wires with properly configured XBees will not require any code changes. So, forget about the XBees for the time being. Write the code. Then worry about the XBees.

luketheduke:
Now I have a question concerning the sainsmart xbee shield. Does it have level converter circuitry built in or do I need to add that???

ltd,
The sainsmart people likely took care of that.
The Series 1 are supposed to work as simple serial comm link (9600, 8N1) without any configuring (XCTU) needed.
Do they use D0/D1?
If not, you will have to use SoftwareSerial.
If they do, you will probably have to remove the shield when when Uploading a sketch (unless you do so via ICSP.)

The Series 1 are supposed to work as simple serial comm link (9600, 8N1) without any configuring (XCTU) needed.

Not a bi-directional link. This is the same non-sense that digi spouts, and it is simply not true. MY and DL must be defined, and they must match. (MY on one is DL on the oither).

PaulS:

Not a bi-directional link. This is the same non-sense that digi spouts, and it is simply not true. MY and DL must be defined, and they must match. (MY on one is DL on the oither).

OK.
All I've done in this regard is a remote control - one only transmitted and the other only received.

does anyone have any code for sending data to another arduino from an arduino via pins D0 and D1(the TX and Rx pins)?I tryed making code for it but i haven't gotten it to work as there is some problem in the communications link.....

Here's my code for the sender:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial mySerial(0, 1); 
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);    	//initialize serial
  pinMode(10, INPUT);   	//set pin 13 as output

}

void loop() {
  if(digitalRead(10) == HIGH){
    mySerial.print("a");}
    else{mySerial.print("b");}
}

Here's my code for the receiver (the one with the led):

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial mySerial(0, 1); 
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);    	//initialize serial
  pinMode(10, INPUT);   	//set pin 13 as output

}

void loop() {
  if(digitalRead(10) == HIGH){
    mySerial.print("a");}
    else{mySerial.print("b");}
}

Thanks,
L

It doesn't make much sense to use SoftwareSerial on pins 0 and 1 since these are already connected to the hardware UART.

If you're connecting via pins 0 and 1 you can just use the hardware Serial interface. Note that these pins also connect to the USB serial interface so this would only make sense if both Arduinos were kept disconnected from the USB interface.

You could use SoftwareSerial on any other two digital pins, as long as you changed the physical wiring to match.

Just to clear the air, I have checked and they do work as, like I posted, a "simple serial link".
It's true that without RTS/CTS (handshaking) things could get "out of control" - two could transmit at the same time - but I think that's what's implied by "simple". At least, that was my reckoning.
Keep exchanges "structured".