Xbee antenna question

Good morning , i set on my project the 2 Xbee S1 which i configure with X-TCU. The one is plugged on my Mega and the other is plugged on PC. Via hyperterminal or X-TCU terminal i send commands and Mega open some LEDs.Its a test stage where i want to check range and if all work fine.

Problem: everything working fine on 1 meter ranger, after that ranger its like no communication.

I bought this(without antena, only that wire-adaptor for antenna) :

Its necesary to plug antenna on both Xbee ? I ask cause 1-2-3 meters seems so close range that could work without.

Looking for you answers, thank you

If both XBees are like that, you need antennas on both. That is an antenna adapter, not an antenna.

Yeah i just thought 2-3 meter are no need antenna.. thanks for your answer :slight_smile:

There are some XBees that have built-in antennas. Those may have been better for your application. But since you have those, you can get rubber duck antennas pretty cheap. This is the supplier I use. If that is a 2.4GHz unit, then these would do ok.
http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-ghz-rubber-duck-omni-antennas

And just some friendly advice, don't run those radios without an antenna very long. You could burn out the transmitter section without the proper antenna impedance.

I was thinking use some antenna i have from old wifi rooters and TP-Link adapters

Legolas69:
I was thinking use some antenna i have from old wifi rooters and TP-Link adapters

Perfect! :slight_smile:

Thanks for quick reply and help :))))