Xbee API Mode

Hello Forum,

i have one short question about Xbee Operations.

I would prefer the API Mode instead of the simple AT Mode -

My first question is:

Is it possible just to send and receive data in API Mode? I have 3 Arduinos and 3 Xbee Serie 2, which i would like to configure in star topology. In AT Mode everything works fine. But now i would like to realise that in API Mode with the Xbee library. But as is understand they use all the Xbee to read and send data (without the arduino module).

It would be great if anyone can help me.

Greetings Andy

But now i would like to realise that in API Mode with the Xbee library. But as is understand they use all the Xbee to read and send data (without the arduino module).

I think you must have misread/misunderstood something. The XBee library is an Arduino library. It is used on the Arduino, not on the XBee.

Hmmm it says the main advantage of API Mode is the use of I/O of the Xbee.

For example a value of a sensor is read at an input of Xbee, the second step is send it.

But in my Case the arduino reads - print it to the xbee and that should use its “professional” frame to transmit. And the other side should check it and so on… All these things wich arent included in AT Mode - I need the better version of AT Mode.

Is the XBee reading the sensor, or is the Arduino reading the sensor, and using the XBee to send the data?

Tha Arduino reads the sensor and the Xbee is used to send the data -

But i think it should work fine in API Mode as well? But here we dont come out with just serial.read and serial.write commands :/

I guess I am confused, then. You want to use an Arduino library to transmit some data that the Arduino collected.

So, what is the problem?

The problem is:

• arduino collects data
  • arduino gives data to xbee
  • xbee sends )(API with library)
  • xbee receive and check it (API with library)
  • arduino receives

My question is: if it is possible just to send/receive data in api mode. :D

My question is: if it is possible just to send/receive data in api mode.

Well, the simple answer is yes.

The more complicated question is how. The XBee library comes with samples to show you how to use it.

andy0087: Hmmm it says the main advantage of API Mode is the use of I/O of the Xbee.

Only devices that have API firmware can send remote IO sample data out their UART.