XBEE is a pain so far

I am trying to use a XB- pro shield with a XB-24-B RF module with X-CTU The modem keeps dopping out. When it will read the modem, if I hit retry it looses it. Should the LED on the shield blink all the time? When I try to upload config file it looses communication with modem, says detects baud rate diiference but baud is set right 9600
Thanks

These are all the errors I get

Getting modem type....Programming modem...Detected baud rate difference. Make sure PC and modem baud rate is set correctly Lost communication with modem Found bootloader active reprogramming firmware. Write Parameters...Failed

Getting modem type....OK Programming modem...Lost communication with modem Write Parameters...Failed

Getting modem type....Detected baud rate difference. Make sure PC and modem baud rate is set correctly Failed to enter command mode Check Com Port and Baud settings and try again. Write Parameters...Failed

Found bootloader active reprogramming firmware. Write Parameters...Failed

Resetting AT Commands... Restore Defaults cancelled by user

Sorry your trip is such a bummer.
I have used XBee S1’s as 9600 8N1 serial link (I can manage without any ‘shield’), their stock configuration, adding only a 3V-to-5V interface, and they couldn’t be easier.

Got it figured out.

VOLTDUDE: Got it figured out.

Please post your solution so people searching on Google can find both the problem and the answer, not just the problem without an answer.