XBEE pro SE S2 interfacing with Arduino

So i'm having an impossible time getting two xbee's with arduino uno's to talk to each other. I have read nothing that has been even the slightest bit helpful as I am using XCTU and nobody has any articles on the new software. So i'm hoping someone can help me as this isn't even something that difficult I just can't figure out how to do it. So I have 2x XBEE pro, 2x Arduino Uno, 2x Shield, and a dongle to program the XBEE's. I've written a code just to turn on an LED using serial commands. Nothing extravagant there, but in XCTU I'm doing something wrong obviously. I went in and changed the PANID of the two XBEE's to 1221, then made one the coordinator and the other the end device. I wrote the changes to both of them and now they both have different OP, OI, CH. There is no way I can find to change them and they are grayed out. Also the slave XBEE's shield has a steady blinking red led on it. Here is the code. Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

void setup() { Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(7,OUTPUT); }

void loop() { int data = Serial.read();

switch(data) { case '0': digitalWrite(7, HIGH); Serial.println("LED turned on"); break;

case '1': digitalWrite(7, LOW); Serial.println("LED turned off"); break; } }