XBee project feasibility - three-way communication

Hi all

This is a quick question aimed at understanding the feasibility of a project I have in mind. It is based largely around XBee modules rather than specifically Arduino so I apologize if its not suitable for this forum. I figured that seeing as this is such an insightful and knowledgable forum someone here may be able to help me!

Part 1 I hope to buy 3 XBee modules, and then establish 3 way communication between three computers running hyper terminal (or equivalent). One XBee will be a coordinator, the other two routers.

If the computers are called A,B and C, is it possible to send a message from A to B (but not C), A to C (but not B) and A to both B&C? And similarly from B to A, B to C etc etc?

Part 2 (probably using arduinos) Each module will periodically ping the other two to get the RSSI from A to B, A to C, B to A, B to C, etc etc.

Are the two scenarios described above feasible/possible?

Many thanks

There's a fair amount of XBee chat here so your question is perfectly appropriate. The scenarios you describe are perfectly feasible and straightforward. API mode will make the addressing easier. The first scenario will be tedious because if transparent mode is used, the destination address will have to be changed before each transmission. Not a big deal, just extra commands to type. If API mode is used in the first scenario, it'll be a major pain encoding the packets then typing them in. The second scenario is straightforward, there are XBee libraries to help with API mode. I use Andrew Rapp's library and it works very well.

Hi

Thanks for the input! I appreciate that scenario 1 will be a bit of a pain but I will only have to do it once. It's simply to demonstrate that it's possible (now that I know it is!).

Can broadcasting / multitasking be done in transparent mode? I suspect not, and so will probably ending using API mode anyway!

Thanks again

Broadcast transmissions are just done by setting a special destination address, so I'd say yes, but I've never tried it. Read the product manual, there are good reasons to keep broadcast transmission to a minimum, especially with XBee ZB modules (fka Series 2).

Not sure what you mean by multitasking in this context.

Okay thanks will do!

Multitasking should have read 'multicasting', damn autocorrect! So messaging multiple specific modules but not necessarily all modules

boileroo: Okay thanks will do!

Multitasking should have read 'multicasting', damn autocorrect! So messaging multiple specific modules but not necessarily all modules

Ah yes those keypunchers will get you every time :D

The XBee doc uses the terms "unicast" and "broadcast".

Good luck with your project!