Xbee Radio without a Breakout Board

Can you use/solder onto the XBEE radios without a breakout board to slot it into?

Could you just connect up to the Vcc, GND, Tx, Rx pins on the Xbee radio and what functionality would you LOOSE by only using 4 of the 20 pins on the radio?

Thanks in advance!

Look at the wireless/SD shield in the products section? Which pins does it use? There is no loss of functionality with that shield.

Mark

what functionality would you LOOSE by only using 4 of the 20 pins on the radio?

The XBee is more than a radio. The other 16 pins are digital and analog input and output pins, just like the Arduino. By not using them, you miss out on those capabilities. It is possible that you don't even need the Arduino. The XBee might be able to do everything the Arduino is doing (depending, of course, on what the Arduino IS doing).

I bought 100's of female and male jumper wires on ebay, these work great for what you want to do. Use the female end on the XBee pins and the male ends to plug into the arduino and all will be good.

ok, thanks!

I am trying to communicate ( serial monitor ) using 2 xbee mounted on xbee shields for arduino but i am not able to find any code for that.
Need help urgently .
thank you :slight_smile: