Xbee serie 2: Forcing sleep mode when out of range

I made a RS232 virual wire using xbee: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,50328.0.html

Now, I know how to force the sleep mode of the end device, when the module that connects to the PC (coordinator) is out of range (or off).

Using the tester, I see that when I turn off the PC module, the end device begins to consume a lot of current (much more than when working), while I would like to bring it into sleep mode.

I need to collect data once a week, and wanted to know how to save the battery.

Thank you all!

Using the tester, I see that when I turn off the PC module, the end device begins to consume a lot of current (much more than when working), while I would like to bring it into sleep mode.

Makes sense. The other end is trying to re-establish the connection. That takes more power that maintaining a connection.

Before turning off the PC end, can it send a message to the other device? Something like "GoodNight". The other end would see this message, and go to sleep, instead of high power search mode. I don't know if it is possible, since I don't know what kind of device is on the other end. Just thinking out loud.

Ok, if I can succeed to sleep the end device, later how can I do to estabilish again the connection if it is sleeping ?

I think it’s hard…

how can I do to estabilish again the connection if it is sleeping ?

I thought you had worked that out first. Thinking in terms of anesthesiology, you need to plan how to wake the patient up, before putting the patient to sleep.