xbee setup and configuration

Hello,

I am new to the arduino world.

My project consists of collecting temperature data from various points of my house with LM35 sensors and XBee's.
I want to collect the to a single point and transmit data to a service like pachube.

Please confirm that the h/w that i need is:

for each point I measure temperature

1 xbee 2.5
1 SparkFun - XBee Shield

for the central point

1 arduino
1 xbee 2.5
1 arduino xbee shield
1 ethernet shield

plus

1 xbee explorer USB for programming xbees

is this correct?

thx andreas

Sounds like a project similar to one I've wanted to do.
Are you referring to this shield?

If so, you will alos need an Arduino for every shield.

Hi Pauly

You are talking about the temperature collecting point.

Correct me if am wrong (and there a lot of chances I am)

I need to plug the LM35 sensor on the xbee. I know Xbee's Series 2 have analog inputs that can bee used for the LM35. Instead of soldering on the Xbee I think I need and Xbee shield to use it as a breadboard. Correct? Do i also need an arduino on the collecting point?

Andreas

I have never used an xbee and am no authority on this matter, but every shield needs an Arduino. So, based on what you are telling me, every collecting point will need an Arduino.

Also check out this book that just came out. I just ordered my copy.

I know Xbee's Series 2 have analog inputs that can bee used for the LM35. Instead of soldering on the Xbee I think I need and Xbee shield to use it as a breadboard. Correct?

Correct.

Do i also need an arduino on the collecting point?

No. The XBee can collect and broadcast data from the LM35.

I'm not sure how easy/difficult it is, on the collector node, to determine which XBee the sensor reading came from, without an Arduino to add data to the message being sent.

Keep in mind that the XBee will only be sending the raw sensor reading, NOT a temperature.

I'm not sure how easy/difficult it is, on the collector node, to determine which XBee the sensor reading came from, without an Arduino to add data to the message being sent.

Thats important...!!

Anybody can tell if it is possible to identify signals coming from different Xbee's? (with one arduino in the collecting point and NO arduino at the sensor location).

Andreas

If I remember correctly, you'll have to put the XBees in API mode instead of AT mode in order to identify where the packet came from. However, I may be wrong.

I was looking for a way to send packets to a specific XBee and ended up going with API mode to do this otherwise the packet would be broadcast to all XBees.

So in other words, yes, it is possible to identify which node sent a packet.