I have problems getting the XBee Shields running. First of all, I tried the HowTo - Tutorial as written on the Arduino-homepage. After that didn't work, I read myself into the XBee documentation, and how to configure them.
I sent the XBee module into command mode using an Arduino Diecimila. (wait a second, send "+++", wait a second)
Then I started to read out a couple of values.
The MY attribute was set to 0xFFFE instead of 0, as the default value should be. This would explain why the communication between the boards didn't succeed. The problem is: I can't change the value of MY, the XBee response is "ERROR", no matter what argument I send (unless I only send "ATMY", in which case I get the FFFE - answear. There are a couple of other things I don't really understand:
The channel is set to 0, not 0x0C - 0 is not even a valid value according to the documentation. The ID is set to 234, not 3332.
I changed the Destination address, to match the 64 bit serial number of the receiving XBee, or used the broadcast address, but neither of these attempts succeeded.
Oh yeah, when I enter command mode, the XBee modules seem to reset my Arduinos.
Since I do not only have three Arduino Shields, but also four pure XBee modules, I traded one of them to check whether the problem lies in the XBee modules I received. But the other modules show the same behaviour and values.
I am trying to get these things running for three days now, and I am absolutely out of ideas. I hope someone can point me to my mistake, or ask the right questions I haven't seen so far.