Xbee usb adapter

I have purchased an xbee usb adapter/explorer which consists of 5 pins on the other end. The pin configures as follows: Reset, RX, TX, GND, 5V. I have searched and watched tutorials about xbee on the internet. One thing I found helpful is the proper connection of TX and RX to arduino and as what it says it must be connected in such a way the TX (arduino) is to RX (xbee) and vice versa. However, when we were trying to connect the xbee to arduino after uploading the codes the serial monitor shows nothing and when we connect the xbee the other way around which the TX is to TX and RX is to RX it displays the stuffs we are in need of. Can someone please explain to me how is this possible? And can you tell me if I am doing it right, since I am having doubts on using the adapter as replacement for the xbee shield. :slight_smile: By the way, is the xbee shield really necessary? What are the advantages of using xbee shields? Thank you so much. :slight_smile: I am using an Xbee Series 1 model and arduino uno.

I have purchased an xbee usb adapter/explorer which consists of 5 pins on the other end.

Do you have an out-of-focus, way too large picture of it? Or, I don't know, maybe a link?

One thing I found helpful is the proper connection of TX and RX to arduino and as what it says it must be connected in such a way the TX (arduino) is to RX (xbee) and vice versa. However, when we were trying to connect the xbee to arduino after uploading the codes the serial monitor shows nothing and when we connect the xbee the other way around which the TX is to TX and RX is to RX it displays the stuffs we are in need of. Can someone please explain to me how is this possible?

I read it on the internet; it MUST be true. Hogwash. I'm as capable of posting nonsense as anyone. What you read was just that.

And can you tell me if I am doing it right, since I am having doubts on using the adapter as replacement for the xbee shield.

If you are getting good data the way it is connected, obviously it is connected incorrectly. (See that second to last sentence after the previous quote.)

What are the advantages of using xbee shields?

The designer knew what the hell he/she was doing in making the connections.