XBee Wireless Kit and Arduino Pro, issues interfacing

Hi there, I am very inexperienced with wireless. I bought this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9897 XBee Wireless Kit Retail. I soldered the headers to the shield and mated it with my Arduino Pro 328 - 3.3V/8MHz. I plugged in the modules into the shield and the explorer, hooked the explorer up to my computer with a USB cable, and powered on my Arduino. When I attempt to upload a sketch in the Arduino IDE, I get this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I've come to realize this is the most generic error ever, so I'm not expecting a precise diagnosis of the problem. I just would like to know if, in theory, all of what I did should be working. Thank you.

That error should be renamed into "no connection" or something like that.

How is everything connected ? One XBee with explorer to the PC ? Another XBee with an Arduino board ? Which Arduino board are you using ? Can you upload a simple sketch to that Arduino without the XBee board ? How did you connect the RX and TX of the XBee ?

You could use SoftwareSerial to create new serial ports, http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial If you use SoftwareSerial for a port to the XBee, the serial port via the USB is still usable for uploading a sketch and the serial monitor on the PC.

Well I'll try to be as specific as possible. One XBee module is plugged into the XBee explorer, which is connected to my computer using a USB mini to regular USB cable, that cable plugs into my USB port. I've identified this port as COM3 and the Arduinio IDE recognizes it. The other XBee is plugged into the XBee Shield which mates with my Arduino Pro 328 - 3.3V/8MHz. I've also tried it with my Arduino Uno. Both were powered appropriately and seemed to be working, though my Arduino Pro has no USB interface so I can't confirm it could have sketches uploaded to it. I'm not sure how to connect RX and TX of the XBee, I assumed this was something the shield handled.

Basically all I'm trying to do is upload a sketch wirelessly to the arduino, then be able to wirelessly receive data back from the arduino. I'm using the pro because I can power it with batteries. I would just like to know if this works.

I'm not sure how to connect RX and TX of the XBee, I assumed this was something the shield handled.

It does. How it connects the XBee to the Arduino depends on which position the switch is in. Too bad you haven't mentioned that.

I tried both, same error, I think it's supposed to be DLINE when receiving data and UART when transmitting?

Well I guess I should thank you. You got me thinking if I could transmit from the Arduino so I tried putting the sketch onto my Uno over the wired USB connection, flipped the switch to UART, and the serial monitor picks up the transmission from the Arduino. So that's hunky dory, I'd prefer if I could upload sketches through the XBees since I have no USB interface on my Arduino Pro but if I can't I will be okay with this. I think I have an FTDI cable lying around anyway.