xbox Kinect + Arduino + Pan and Tilt Platform

Hi Makers!

I’m a graduate student just getting into the Arduino world. I’d like to hack an xbox Kinect, and have it pan and tilt a platform based on where a person is in the room. The basic idea would be something like a security camera in the corner of the room. I want to mount a camera in the upper corner of my office, and have the platform it is attached to pan and tilt based on where I am in the room, keeping me in the middle of the camera shot. Is this feasible to do? I am a quick study and appreciate any feedback the community can give me regarding the inner workings of the Kinect and its integration with Arduino Uno.

Thanks!

I don't know much about the Kinect hardware, but if the Kinect hardware has its own image processing software on it then it seems feasible, but if the XBOX is doing the image processing and the Kinect is simply feeding it image data then I doubt what you want to do is possible.

I am certainly not well versed on the subject and could be completely wrong, but I do not believe the Arduino is capable of the real time image processing required for such a task, even more powerful machines such as the Raspberry PI struggles with Computer Vision software. If, on the other hand, the Kinect does the image processing for you, and spits out the resulting data in some form reminiscent of what you might see coming out of a joystick, I see no reason why this would not be possible assuming you had the know-how to work with the data provided by the Kinect. In all likelihood, the Kinect probably sits somewhere in between those two extremes. Your best bet is to do some research into the Kinect itself to find out how it works. Once you know this, you will have an idea of how much "weight" it will pull in the task you wish to accomplish, and from this you can determine roughly how much weight the Arduino will have to pull to reach your goal, if what I am saying makes any sense at all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may go the easier route with an IR array and a wiimote. I would have to put reflective tape on my shirt for the IR to reflect off of, but it would solve the problem of the system getting confused by multiple people in the room at once.