XRF data module

Hi everyone! Not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm doing a project involving 3 or more arduinos communicating with each other and sending data to a "master" Galileo. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get them to "talk" to each other. If anyone has any tips that would be awesome. I saw the XRF data module and it looks like a great part for what I need but I can't find anywhere where anyone has connected more than two arduinos using it. I was wondering if anyone knew how many arduinos you could hook up to each other using the xrf modules? Thanks!

If you're looking to have wired connections, many people use I2C for short cable communications. For longer cabled communications, you're better off using ethernet or RS-485 and would need a shield.

For wireless communications, there are lots of options from XBee to cheap Chinese wireless modules. In that case, it depends on what kind of distances you'll need and whether or not they'll be battery operated. For short distances, 2.4 GHz modules are cheap and easy to use. For longer distances, it might be better to start going sub-1GHz like 900 MHz wireless. Every time you double the carrier frequency, you halve the range so you usually want to go as low as possible.

As for how many modules you want to connect together, the wireless boards I make use the IEEE 802.15.4 protocol and has a 16-bit address space. Theoretically, that around 64k devices, although realistically, it would be much less. What you want to look for are wireless modules that have unicast and broadcast addressing and can be individually addressed.

Hope that helps.

jpcarnes: I'm trying to figure out the best way to get them to "talk" to each other. If anyone has any tips that would be awesome.

You will get good answers only if you describe your project, what is its purpose, the environment (location), distances, data rates etc.

There is no one solution fits all for RF Communications.

Ciseco XRF modules are no longer available. Use Xbee instead which will allow multiple connections. The S1's are easiest to setup and use