XYZ axis stepper system

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a project and I'm trying to use 3 stepper motor drives with linear screw nut sliders to control the location of a microscope slide relative to a camera. Banggood DC 4-6V Drive Stepper Motor Screw Slider on A4988 with Arduino GRBL - YouTube here is a link to a video that shows the use of 2 stepper motor drives. I want to have three stepper motor drives and be able to control each one with a switch. I need to be able to move my slide 2.5 inches in the x direction, 1 inch in the y direction, and about 4 inches in the z-axis. My main issue is setting up the drives to an arduino board. Due to price I'm looking to get 3 of these drives: https://www.amazon.com/Stepper-Linear-Slider-Engraving-Machine/dp/B07WFL7LQJ/ref=sr_1_108?keywords=linear+rail+slide&qid=1571668683&s=hi&sr=1-108 . I know I will likely need an arduino uno and a bread board. I am also under the impression that I will need a A4988 Stepstick Stepper Motor Driver Module such as: https://www.amazon.com/FTCBlock-Stepstick-Stepper-Driver-Printer/dp/B07G2DXQGQ/ref=asc_df_B07G2DXQGQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309768150198&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=308260570185061323&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025387&hvtargid=aud-802037562948:pla-601476173505&psc=1 . I am unsure how exactly to set up this configuration to the breadboard and uno. I am thinking of using a set up similar to what can be found on this website: How To Control Stepper Motor with A4988 Driver and Arduino . I am also unsure of what controller will be easiest to use to control the movement of the steppers and how to hook it up. I plan on focusing on the code later so I'm currently asking for advice on parts and set up. (unless you happen to have the code for this already).

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

First of all, you should read Arduino Forum Guidelines on How to ask a question and also learn English punctuation etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways coming to your project, instead of using breadboard, you should go with vero board.

You are planning to use stepper motors with Arduino. You will need to use Stepper Motor Drivers and I normally use L298 Stepper Motor driver module. It's a cheap one and if your steppers are not drawing too much power then they work fine.

jblak11:
Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

The first step would be to break your text into paragraphs to make it readable. A good test of readability is to read your text out loud to yourself. This is my suggestion for a better layout

I'm working on a project and I'm trying to use 3 stepper motor drives with linear screw nut sliders to control the location of a microscope slide relative to a camera.

Banggood DC 4-6V Drive Stepper Motor Screw Slider on A4988 with Arduino GRBL - YouTube here is a link to a video that shows the use of 2 stepper motor drives.

I want to have three stepper motor drives and be able to control each one with a switch. I need to be able to move my slide 2.5 inches in the x direction, 1 inch in the y direction, and about 4 inches in the z-axis.

My main issue is setting up the drives to an arduino board. Due to price I'm looking to get 3 of these drives: Dc 12V Stepper Motor with Linear Screw Nut Slider for DIY Engraving Machine - - Amazon.com .

I know I will likely need an arduino uno and a bread board. I am also under the impression that I will need a A4988 Stepstick Stepper Motor Driver Module such as: Amazon.com: FTCBlock A4988 Stepstick Stepper Motor Driver Module with Heat Sink for 3d Printer Reprap (Pack of 5 Pcs): Home Improvement .

I am unsure how exactly to set up this configuration to the breadboard and uno. I am thinking of using a set up similar to what can be found on this website: How To Control Stepper Motor with A4988 Driver and Arduino .

I am also unsure of what controller will be easiest to use to control the movement of the steppers and how to hook it up. I plan on focusing on the code later so I'm currently asking for advice on parts and set up. (unless you happen to have the code for this already).

...R

These links may help.
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

And the Pololu A4988 web page has a good wiring diagram and lots of other useful info.

...R

A CNC shield like this one for an Uno makes what you want to do easier. Included are connections for limit switches. The shield can take the DRV8825 stepper drivers if you need a bit more current.

cnc shield Uno pins.jpg

cnc shield Uno pins.jpg