yay my first project lcd temps

Please accept my noobishness,

This is my first attempt for an LCD to display temps of pc stuff and temps of radiator.

the screen cycles for 3 sec’s, then prints the next screen for 3-4 sec’s and so on…

I accidentally shorted the LCD backlight and it farted, oops, smelly

I had to put a torch next to it to see the display easier
I wish they wouldn’t glue the polarizer to the lcd I could flip it over to display negative, ahh well…

I have to now design some code to actually measure those temps this is just the start anyways

here’s the code if you want :

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);
void setup() {
lcd.begin(16, 2); // set up the LCD’s number of rows and columns:
}

void loop(){
lcd.setCursor(0, 0); // Set the cursor to the beginning
lcd.clear(); //this prevents previous data from still being displayed after loop

lcd.print(“CPU 24”);
lcd.print((char)223); // this is a DEGREE SYMBOL
lcd.print(" HDD 25");

lcd.setCursor(0, 1); //prints the second line

lcd.print(“GPU 32”);
lcd.print(" RAM 32");

delay(4000);

//this is the next screen with screen clear

lcd.setCursor(0, 0); // Set the cursor to the beginning
lcd.clear(); //this prevents previous data from still being displayed

lcd.print(“RADIATOR 1 42”);

lcd.setCursor(0, 1); //prints the second line
lcd.print(“RADIATOR 2 43”);
lcd.print((char)223);
delay(3000);
}

//end

===================
:o

I am soooo glad the great folks designed the Arduino !!!

I been waiting for this a long time…

regards,
Adrian

Welcome, normally people’s first post is " Hi, my name is …, and I’m an addict" Haha, maybe that’s just me…

Here’s a fun program you can use with an LCD to read information from your computer and display it on the LCD, like fan speed, computer temperature and such, also RSS feeds from your favorite websites (this one:P)

This link explains how to set it up (you may need to change the pins on software or hardware side to fit your setup)
http://www.nuelectronics.com/estore/?p=9

Here’s the site with extra plug-ins and such. (hasn’t been updated in 3 years, but the forums are still fairly active)
http://lcdsmartie.sourceforge.net/

By the way… it’s been a while since I’ve played with my HD44780 LCDs but there’s a way to invert the text colors, so instead of filling up the text, it will fill up the rest of the 5x8 box and erase the letter. Second best thing to getting the negative effect I suppose, and can be done in software. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Captain, Yeah thanks for the Smartie stuff .

I think I could be an addict already :)

Ahh cool, I can invert the screen with software ?

I actually have a complete water cooling information center shield coming out in a month or so. It displays temp from 2 bits power temp fittings so you get real time loop temps. You can add up to 3 more temp probes anywhere you want.

It also displays Pump RMP, Liquid Flow rate, PWM Fan speed control Up to 6 fans and 60w per channel, and it will display the rpm for each fan. I have added in an alarm (both visual and audible) to notify you of a drop in flow and am working on adding a RGB LED controller for those moders out there. The first revision is going to be a shield, the second will be a stand alone unit running an atmega 1280.

I have most of the project documented on my site if you are interested. http://themakersworkbench.com and have an article up in the arduino playground on how to read the RPM of common 3 wire PC fans.

Nice work!!

TheMakersWorkbench :)

Hey yeah, that stuff is what I am very interested in.. I'll head over for a squiz.. Fantastic, thanks for letting me know :) :) :) :o cheers mate [I might post my project too.]