Yeeha 4G network subscription starts today!

Glad to be able to upgrade my subsription to 4G today
have 10X more speed than using my Turbo-3G line (7.2 Mbps before 80 Mbps after)
I use only mobile connections when not in the University
here is google translation of local newspaper:
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dagbladet.no%2F2009%2F12%2F14%2Fnyheter%2Fteknologi%2Finternett%2Fdata_og_teknologi%2Ftema%2F9505510%2F%3Fis%3D1&sl=no&tl=en

D.

4G? What's the speed in megabytes?

divide bits by 8 and get byte so...
The magic number is:
ta ta....
(roll of drums)....
10 HUGE MEGABYTES PER SECOND!
over the GSM network that is impressive.

David.

80 Mbps over a mobile connection? OMG! We get 0.7 Mbps via fixed line "broadband". I bet you don't live in the UK...

Andrew

If you look at the Google translation to english that I posted, you can see that Norway is the first country in the world to start its 4G networking servive, so I live in Norway, near 4G antennas, hence 4G subscription.

David.

EDIT: My old subscription from NetCom was 3G, using ZTE MF636 dongle, then I got 7.2 Mbps max, averaging on 4-5 Mbps during normal use, that was my older landline (ADSL) speed, so I changed it and got it cheaper then too :wink: (13.29 GBP pr month with todays exchange rate)

so from 5 to 10? megabits are really disappointing... The most commonly used storage measurement is megabytes. Which is 8 times more than a megabit. >_> damn ISP's using megabits to make me think i am actually getting 100 megs per second download.

Yeah every bit counts for ISP's :smiley:

Actually, glad for ca. 70-80 Mbits,
4G rulez !
Y'now Arduino only does 115200 bps = 0,1 Mbps with serial :smiley:

but it's not always noticeble to have big bandwith, it's the other side that often has the bottleneck, thus Sportscar in rushour-traffic :wink:

Turbo 3G was just fine really, great for spotify, DL and other every day internet tasks.
And that is the speed that I get when travelling outside the capital 4-5 Mbps, like when I am not near wifi hotspot.

80 Mbps over a mobile connection? OMG! We get 0.7 Mbps via fixed line "broadband". I bet you don't live in the UK...

I get about 3Mbps on a pretty crappy fixed line broadband in the uk. Do you live half way up a mountain?

Mowcius

Sounds like UK has poor ADSL ISP's
bad infrastructure? or just crowding?

When I used ADSL landline 3mbps was the ENTRY level and 12Mbps was the max, I had 5 Mbps then...

Switched to USB-GSM 3G and had the same Mbps + could use my internet all over the place...Pretty Cheap too, I had Non-Office-ours pay scheme at first (after 17:00 and before 8:00, and pay pr. MB during Office Hours) because I was at the University during office hours with free wifi.

Turbo 3G is extremly popular in Norway and the ISP's have good coverage, full subscription with unlimited DL is usually around 28 GBP. pr. month. (that is what I had to pay for Landline before, so just do the math, fixed location or mobility for same price :wink: )

But now 4G, (when in oslo) and comming this summer in the biggest towns, so just happy days.

EDIT: forgot to mention the pricing of 4G, it is of coure a bit steep
74 UK Pounds a month, but then modem included + unlimited DL, just flat monthly rate.

David.

Do you live half way up a mountain?

I wish, then we might get a decent speed! No, we live in the broadband "notspot" that is Milton Keynes. I live in one of the "1 Mbps or less" areas on this map: Browse Maps and Check Broadband Performance and Coverage Across the UK

As people say in the comments it's a mixture of unusually long phone lines from the exchange (they're routed around the outside of our grid squares), aluminium rather than copper lines (it seemed like a good idea in the 70's 'cause it was cheap and worked fine for voice), and one of the few places in the country to be stuck with a copper coax based analog cable TV system (again, it seemed like a good idea in the 70's) so there's no alternative.

Still, BT are supposed to be trialling fibre to the home here next year, so I've got my fingers crossed...

Andrew

4G? Lol ! we just have 3G released a month ago!

I wish, then we might get a decent speed! No, we live in the broadband "notspot" that is Milton Keynes. I live in one of the "1 Mbps or less" areas on this map: Browse Maps and Check Broadband Performance and Coverage Across the UK...

Oh dear! ;D

That is a bit bad. I could get up to 15ish Mbps through the copper cable where I am...
But I have not enough need for that. I wish broadband was so cheap in the uk...

Mowcius