Yellow warning icon in "Board and Port" combo box

Hi,
I use Arduino 2.0 beta since yesterday and I see a Yellow warning icon in "Board and Port" combo box.
My Lolin D32 is properly connected to my COM9 and I have no issue when I compile or when I upload sketch to the board.
I don't know how to remove this unpleasant icon. :slight_smile:
Does anyone have the same minor issue and know how to solve it?

NB: When I look to the message stack in bottom right corner I see a unique message with a red cross:
"An unexpected error occurred when locating the Git executable."
I don't know if it can be the reason.

Thanks.
Nicolas

nico0201:
I use Arduino 2.0 beta since yesterday and I see a Yellow warning icon in "Board and Port" combo box.

Arduino boards that present a unique USB VID/PID identification to the computer can be automatically detected by the Arduino IDE 2.x. However, some boards use a general purpose USB chip that presents the manufacturer provided VID/PID pair. Examples of those include WCH CH340, FTDI FT232R, Silicon Labs CP2102, and Prolific PL2303. Your Lolin board likely either uses the CH340 or the CP2102. The Arduino IDE has no way of knowing which board is on the other side of that chip because many Arduino boards, and even random electronics, use the same chip. The yellow triangle is the indication that the board was not autodetected, and thus the IDE is relying on the user to select the right board.

Others have been given the impression that this was an indication of something wrong and there is currently some discussion on how this experience could be improved:

For now, you just need to understand what this is indicating. If you're sure you have the right port and board selected, then you can safely ignore the triangle.

nico0201:
NB: When I look to the message stack in bottom right corner I see a unique message with a red cross:
"An unexpected error occurred when locating the Git executable."
I don't know if it can be the reason.

No. It's completely unrelated. This is a known issue:

Arduino IDE 2.x has an advanced Git integration feature that requires you to have Git installed and in your PATH environment variable. But this is a completely optional feature for very advanced users. If you don't have Git installed, then you wouldn't have any use for it anyway. So you can safely ignore this error message.

pert, it was a real pleasure to read your answer.
Now I understand everything.

Tank you also for the link to the discussion to the warning icon.
From my point of view I would prefer a green checked icon when detected and no icon at all when it cannot be detected and confirmed. But I understand now, the current behaviour thanks to your very good explanation.

Tanks a lot.
Nicolas

1 Like

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance.

I would prefer a green checked icon when detected and no icon at all when it cannot be detected and confirmed.

I was thinking along the same lines. Detection is a good thing, and it's fine to show indicate this in some way, but lack of a detection is expected and normal for boards without a dedicated VID/PID (which includes even the official classic Nano board), so it's not really cause for a warning.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.