Yet another arduino clock (YAAC)

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I've been working on my first official project YAAC (hopefully that name hasn't been taken). I've got the breadboard version to a point i'm happy with and wanted to share some pictures and a video.

//Hardware Arduino PCF8583 Demo Board (futurlec) 8x8 led matrix dual color (sureelectronics) 74HC595's

//Software I wanted to see if I could create a design that allowed the user to change the color of the leds via pushbutton. It seemed like a waste to have a dual color led matrix if it was going to only be one color. I also include the ability to invert the font on a secondary button.

The design relied entirely on the knowledge and ideas from this forum and the main arduino site. Thanks! I'll post more info later, I at least wanted to get this up and get some feedback on the design.

(see next post for pics and vid links)

the hardware

red leds

red leds inverted

green leds

orange (red+green) leds

here's a link to the video showing the functionality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQNLtUbtK2E

Cool. 7 x 595s?

Cool.

Indeed!

7 x 595s?

If that's so, couldn't it be done with 4 by combining them into 24 - LED long rows?

Each matrix has 16 cathodes (8 red + 8 green) so 7 would be chained already. If you connect the cathodes of each color together and do rowscanning in stead of columns, perhaps it could be done with 5?

Nice project :)

I got bored and just did the same thing with only 4 '595s (well, mine doesn't tell the time yet, it just counts up from zero one second at a time).

It has 3 8*8 matrices. My matrices have anode rows and cathode columns. With all respective rows connected, and columns controlled individually, I managed to make essentially an 8*24 matrix, which obviously only needs 32 pins = 4 74HC595s!

[edit]

(8 red + 8 green)

Just read that. I forgot yours was two-color. Mine is obviously only red.[/edit]

Thanks for the feedback and comments so far.

Here's kind of the overview with how I use the shift registers...

byte 0, 1, 2 : red cathodes byte 3, 4, 5 : green cathodes byte 6: anodes for rowscan

I'm using 8 2222 transistors connected to +5v that get their signals from byte 6 and push out to all 3 panels at the same time. I was originally doing larger 5 panel displays which required this setup, and I like how bright the leds are.

The code to select color is really simple. I keep track of the color cycle with an int and have a case statement before i do the shift outs...

psuedo code
red:
 byte 0, 1, 2 on
 byte 3, 4, 5  off
green
 byte 0, 1, 2 off
 byte 3, 4, 5 on
orange:
 byte 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on

Apologies for not having more of the code ready. It takes a lot more time than I thought to clean stuff up for public consumption. :)

I'll try and put together the info about designing the fonts and interlacing (not the right word, can't think of anything better) two digits into a single 1 byte value in my next post.

I put together the wiring layout for the shift registers in fritzing. I hope this makes the previous post make a little bit more sense. The part of this that I found the most confusing was the shift register closest to the Arduino is the last byte (6) and the register farthest away is the first byte 0.