Yet another Button question

Hello, I'm new to the adrunio scene. Bought a starter kit and a book and have been learning every day since. Hooked

I've done as much searching as I could for a similar post or a reference to get me in the right direction, the topics I do find get off topic or are slightly different.. really wanted to figure it out on my own but driving myself crazy.

I have a normal closed circuit that I need open for only 50ms when the button is pushed.. the button will be pushed and possibly held for half a second. That's where my problem is coming in.. I dont want to repeat the 50ms while the button is held.. the button will be pushed a few times within a minute and only need 50ms open

Any help or links to where I should look for ideas would be great thanks

Look at the State Change Example. It is about having a variable to keep the previous state so you can do something once only when the state changes.

Thanks I read that a couple times before and it must of been shooting way over my head lol... Took another look and was able to get it working!! Thanks for the info.. What I ended up with incase anybody else is seeking similar answer

const int  buttonPin = 2;    
const int ledPin = 13;       

int buttonState = 0;         // current state of the button
int lastButtonState = 0;     // previous state of the button

void setup() {

pinMode(buttonPin, INPUT);

pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);

Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {

digitalWrite(ledPin,HIGH);

buttonState = digitalRead(buttonPin);

if (buttonState != lastButtonState) {

if (buttonState == HIGH) {

digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
      Serial.println("on");
    } else {
         digitalWrite(ledPin,HIGH);                                                                        
      Serial.println("off");
    }

delay(50);
  }
  digitalRead(buttonPin);

if (buttonState != lastButtonState)
   {digitalWrite(ledPin,HIGH);

lastButtonState = buttonState;

}
}

This line digitalRead(buttonPin);does nothing for you

50ms when you release the button is a pretty long debounce time, you might want to have different delay() within your if/else - 15ms is usually plenty for debounce