Yet another Hexacopter

Hi all.

This might be my first contributing post ever, but it is something which I want to share with you. I have decided to create a hexacopter. Yes there are many, you can even buy them pre-fabrished. I don't want that kind of things, so I decided to create my all own.

Today I've ordered the next sensors (and more to come),

Horizon sensor 3side gyro 3side accelerometer 4 IR rangefinders (reach 1.5m) 1 ultrasonic rangefinder (reach 6.5m) GPS module 1 barometer for hight determination.

And a new arduino Mega for this project.

The first thing which I want to do is to create the code to read all these sensors, in this time my dad (yeah I'm not so usefull with those things) will create the frame.

The most important thing is, that this one has to be UAV. I don't want to control it, and I don't want to be able to do so (except a failsafe power switch :P).

I have 2 goals to achieve, 1. Surveillance over a larger, predefined, area from higher in the air. 2. Make it waypoint following in a forest.

What can you guys expect of me next weekend? A small bootup sequence for the Hexacopter so that all the sensors are callibrated, there is a GPS connection. I also plan on creating a piece of code which will calculate how much force each motor has to provide to stear in a certain direction. (the frame dimensions are predetermined, so it will be a prototyped script :P)

The calibration of the sensors (actually sensor) is the current barometric pressure, compared over 6.5 meters (the ultrasonic rangefinder) so that the system can determine a (sort of) height when it goes higher than 6.5 meters.

When I've finished that, and my dad finished the frame (I hope), I will start with the connecting of the motors, putting the wires in the frame etc. Then it will have it's first "liftoff" test ;).

So, next week you will see the first tests of the sensors, including all the different animations, graphs etc. made with prototype ;)

Hope that you have some great suggestions, and ofcourse a name for this project.

The most important thing is, that this one has to be UAV. I don't want to control it, and I don't want to be able to do so (except a failsafe power switch ).

Something to keep in mind of is the laws of the country where you will be flying this device. For instance, here in the United States, there are a ton of laws governing what a hobbyist can or cannot do in regards to unmanned aircraft, especially autonomous drones. Sure, you can flaunt the laws, just be prepared to assume the consequences of doing so should somebody notice, or should something go wrong (fines, lawsuits, jail time, etc).

Other than that, good luck with your project!

:)

The government has decided that the branche of RC flying has to be self-regulating. They've created some basic rules (300m max height, you have to visually see the craft etc. etc.) and thats it. It does not state how the aircraft has to be controlled. It was stated in the older law, but it is not in the current law.

As far as that counts I'm quite safe. I've requested the Ministery of Defence to grant me access to they're militairy practicing area's so I can safely test the system. It will give me at least 8 km to each side which is an estimated range with 45 minutes of flight at full speed. (after this it will probably fall as a stone).

If they grant me that I can test the earlyer mentioned goals and I can test the system without fear of people getting hurt.

They've created some basic rules (300m max height, you have to visually see the craft etc. etc.) and thats it. It does not state how the aircraft has to be controlled.

From what I understand (I haven't read the rules in depth because it isn't something I am working on; its just things I have read as I found them) that's basically similar to the rules here in the U.S. - I think there is also something about needing to have the ability to take over manual control at all times - but the height and visual line-of-sight rules are basically the same.

If they grant me that I can test the earlyer mentioned goals and I can test the system without fear of people getting hurt.

It seems like you've done your homework, carry on and good luck with the project. I just mentioned the issue because so often people approach these projects without giving thought to such issues, and then get indignant, confused, or caught in a mess when the rules do catch up to them for whatever reason.

:)

Results will have to wait a moment, just tested a prob in house which wasn't attached very well :') It broke a double glass window... :P

Ouch!

Testing the sensors broke a window? :P

OK, jokes aside, I assume that you are now testing the flight systems. Take some Pictures! I want to see!

just tested a prob in house

You probably meant prop as in propeller. Didn't your mother ever tell you not to play with flying things in the house. ;)

Could be worst, I received some nasty propeller cuts launching my electric flying wing several years ago (outside of course). Scared the @#$% out of me, lots of blood but no stitches required. :'(

Lefty

Indeed it was a prop. To be honnest, it was a diameter of 25cm of hard plastic. It broke all truh the window. Why? I forgot to put a screw in it yeah laugh xD

Stupid mistake, won't make it again I guess xD Anyway, I'm testing the basic patterns yes. Photo's will follow so will source, when I've recovered from this stupid mistake and went to bed ;)

Anyways, I have the next:

I can calibrate the barometer over a height of 6.5 meters to give me an indication (it's nothing more) of how high the thing is. I can read a XYZ sensor. I have acceleration and g-force readings.

Now I'm trying to put it all together untill it's capable of calculating the forces on all the 6 arms. It will then be able to drive motors. Before I do the actual motor driving, i'll upload everything ;)

OK, Just because this is almost on topic, but more because it is simply STUPIFYING, here is a video of a quad copter doing stunts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvRTALJp8DM&feature=player_embedded

Saw that one yesterday. It's FUCKING AWESOME!!