Yet another Uno upload problem...

Hello!

I’ve just bought a couple of shiny new Unos from Cool Components to use in a project. I’ve previously used a Duemillenove without issue. I’m seeing the all too familiar message of:

Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbmodemfa421 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/M0/M0+6FaHh2RasNU+BYw18g++++TI/-Tmp-/build2124115610933965625.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/mike/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/tty.usbmodemfa421
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20] 

I’ve tried the “unplug from USB, hold down reset button, plug back in, shift+click upload, release reset after sketch size message” to no avail.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the TX light on the board lights up solid for a few seconds, which seemed weird, and I can’t connect with the serial monitor which to my uneducated eyes suggests some sort of serial sync problem.

In the Arduino software, the Board type is set to “Arduino Uno” and I’ve tried both /dev/tty.usbmodemfa421 and /dev/cu.usbmodemfa421 as serial port options, with no joy.

I’ve also tried updating the 8U2 on one of the boards as per http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2, but this doesn’t seem to have done 'owt.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Totally stuck and bewildered that two new boards can be duff. :confused:

EDIT: I should say that I’m running Mac OS X 10.6.7 on Intel hardware, and the Arduino simply falls back to the default LED blinking state (I suppose due to a failed sketch upload and it defaulting back to the original sketch that was installed).

Here’s the output when using /dev/cu.usbmodelfa421:

Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/cu.usbmodemfa421 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/M0/M0+6FaHh2RasNU+BYw18g++++TI/-Tmp-/build3678148342472031873.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/mike/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/cu.usbmodemfa421
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20] 

Update!

Uninstalled the network device, plugged the Arduino directly into my iMac (not using the powered USB hub I have) and it seems to be working. Bit of an inconvenience, but at least I know the boards work!

Anyone had similar issues with USB hubs before?

This has come up before, although I don't know why the hub causes a problem. It is listed in the troubleshooting guide though: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting