You forgot you skecthbook

On trying to run the program file I get an error message:

X Arduino cannot run because it could not create a folder to store your sketchbook.

Any ideas appreciated. Thnx

Any details equally appreciated.

See attachment

pic.png

You've got five minutes before you're allowed to post again. Can I suggest that you use those 300 seconds to consider what "details" might mean? We now know you're using some flavour of Windoze.

This last post makes no sense at all.

It would be helpful if you could be more specific about the attached screen grab if you intend to support this post and offer any sensible suggestions as to what the screen grab might mean

It means just what it says. The sketchbook folder is a standard location for you to store your sketches and libraries. Sketches stored there will appear in the File > Sketchbook menu and libraries will be in the include path. When the Arduino IDE starts up if the sketchbook doesn't exist it will attempt to create it. If it can't create it then the IDE won't start. This is a bit of a catch 22 because you can't use File > Preferences to change the sketchbook folder location if you can't open the IDE. The workaround is to open preferences.txt with a text editor, and change the line that starts with:

sketchbook.path=

to a convenient location for your sketchbook, save the file, then start the Arduino IDE.

The location of preferences.txt is:

On Mac OS X: /Users/{username}/Library/Arduino15

On Windows: Arduino IDE 1.6.5r5 and previous: C:\Users{username}\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15 Arduino IDE 1.6.6 and later: C:\Users{username}\AppData\Local\Arduino15

On Linux: /home/{username}/.arduino15 (a.k.a. ~/.arduino15)

Thank you pert for your help. Two questions - when I follow the path to the preferences.txt in Windows 10, it says the Arduino15 folder is empty. What do I do now?

Question 2 - when you change the line in preferences.txt, can you please give me an example of what it would look like when you add "a convenient location"?

Thanks so much for your help.

This indicates that the Arduino IDE is unable to write to the Arduino15 folder, probably because of permissions. You might be able to fix that by right clicking the Arduino icon and clicking "Run as Administrator". Another option would be to use the IDE in portable mode by creating a folder named portable in the Arduino IDE installation folder.

That did it. Thanks so much for your help.