Your experience on choosing a good arduino for wireless (wifi) robotics

Hi all,
I’m a secondary teacher in Maths and next year I want to try to teach computer programming in python. To make it more “enjoyable”, I would like to have a moving robots with a few sensors (at least a range sensor) which is controlled by sending command strings to it.
Why wifi: because it will make it probably easier to have several robots in the same room by choosing different IPs. Also it could also be used to teach some network basics.
So I need an arduino board with wifi. I have already tried a wifly module but at the time (last year) the library was still abit buggy.
So I would like to use a Yun for that but I want to make sure it is a good board for the job. The problem I see with it is the lack of 5v regulation which means two batteries: one for 5v and the other one for the motors/servos. Is that correct?
If you think it is not the good board for what I wanna do please give me ideas :wink:
TIA
Bye
Manu

The below shows a very simple network wireless bot project that uses a netgear 614 wireless router, an arduino, and a w5100 based Ethernet shield.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343

Thanks! I read the description, but it is wired which is not really practical in the class room. I definitely need a wifi shield or xbee wifi module. Please keep the comments/ideas coming ;-)

manufwi: Thanks! I read the description, but it is wired which is not really practical in the class room. I definitely need a wifi shield or xbee wifi module. Please keep the comments/ideas coming ;-)

So which part is "wired"? The router and servos are powered by a 12v dewalt drill battery and are independent of external wire connections. The laptop has a USB wifi adapter (which is now built into most current laptops and smart phones) which wirelessly connects to the netgear router.

Well if I understand correctly the arduino communicates via ethernet. So for a robot this is problematic. Bye Manu

manufwi: Well if I understand correctly the arduino communicates via ethernet. So for a robot this is problematic.

You need to study Zoomcat's solution more closely - you have misunderstood how it works.

Ooops you're right; but I need something smaller and easier to move around than that. So I would much prefer having either an arduino with embedded wifi (like yun) or with a wifi shield. But I definitely need something reliable and with a good library. Thanks, Emmanuel

Hi, I am totally new to Arduino but I am actually looking for a similar solution myself. I am making a Daft Punk helmet and want to send different LED matrix sequences wirelessly.

I don't think it will end up being suitable for my requirements but have you looked into XBee? I saw a video where a guy was using a 900Mhz one that had amazing range and reliability of link. There is also a video on how to do the one time pairing of the units using something like Putty. Finally, Sparkfun sent me a datasheet on them and how to link them.

If you would like me to link you, I could try and find them.

Hi, you might be interested in the Electric Imp http://electricimp.com/product/ Its priced fairly cheaply or at least to me it is compared to buying a wifi shield for Arduino, its fairly easy to set up where you just send it your username and password and it connects straight to wifi plus the IDE is online, so it means you can just make students go to a particular website to program it on the computer instead of connecting it up by cable (updates firmware through wireless).

Biggest problem would be it uses Squirrel I think, as a programming language and although very similar may not be entirely what your looking for. Plus it means either you won't be using arduino, or you would be using it by UART only.

I did not know about it! It looks great, I will look a bit more thoroughly into it.
Thanks.