Yun and Wifly shield

Hello,

Is it possible to connect a wifly shield to the Arduino Yun?

Catalyst0001:
Hello,

Is it possible to connect a wifly shield to the Arduino Yun?

Catalyst0001,

Anything is possible, but it may break other things - like the wifi already attached. If you have an example, or some idea of the shield you want to use, or perhaps surmise what you are trying to accomplish, then perhaps more information could be had.

TIA
Jesse

The shield pinout looks to be compatible, so it might work.

But why? The Yun already has a much more powerful WiFi interface already on the board.

I’m trying to establish a direct wifi communication (without going through a network) between the Yun on a moving bicycle and a tablet.

The Yun’s wifi used as a hot spot only has a range <100 ft, while the wifly shield (Sparkfun wifly shield) used as a hot spot has a range of 300 ft.

I hope this makes sense.

Catalyst0001:
I’m trying to establish a direct wifi communication (without going through a network) between the Yun on a moving bicycle and a tablet.

The Yun’s wifi used as a hot spot only has a range <100 ft, while the wifly shield (Sparkfun wifly shield) used as a hot spot has a range of 300 ft.

I hope this makes sense.

Catalyst0001,
To get more distance, you’ll need more power or an antenna or both.

POWER
Your voltage and current are set, however, electronics are not my thing. Someone else will answer that part.

ANTENNA
Google: buy arduino yun antenna

Jesse

Thanks a lot Jesse. I'll look into the antenna.
Thanks a bunch again

If you need a different WiFi interface, you are probably better going with a USB WiFi adapter, rather than a WiFly: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=221945.msg1612044#msg1612044

if you go with the WiFly, you will be bypassing the Linux environment and the rich networking features it provides: the network will be strictly under control of the Arduino sketch. You might as well just use an Uno with the WiFly. None of the Linux networking will work with it, which eliminates about 96% of the benefit of the Bridge library features that make the Yun so appealing: the web server, the RESTful API, the bridge get/put with remote network access, YunServer/YunClient and HttpClient, etc. You're mostly left with a very expensive Uno if you bypass Linux and it's networking abilities.

Which brings me to my original question, why would you want to add this shield to a Yun? More power doesn't make sense, because you will lose so much functionality in the process.

If you use a USB WiFy adapter, it will be managed by the Linux network stack, and all of the features that make the Yun do appealing will still work.

If you want to use the Yun's advanced features, either figure out how to use an external antenna (if successful, you will likely be the first to do it) or go with an adapter that can be managed by Linux. If you are dead set on the (expensive) WiFly shield, use an Uno instead of a Yun.

@Shapshifter

You are right, I could have just switched to Uno. But this was before I learned about the antenna.

Is there any USB wifi adapter that you would recommend me to use to increase the range of the Yun's wifi?

I don't have any personal experiences with USB WiFi adapters, I'm merely pointing out sonnyu's potential solution. Maybe sonnyyu has a suggestion?

Plan A:

Yun compatibale board: carambola2, dragino2(Yun Shield), gl-inet, el-m150, el-mini.

The few of them supports U.FL connector and could be easily connected with 2.4 Ghz external antenna.

Plan B:

Find out Dongle with support WIFI chipset:

kmod-rtl8187 - 3.3.8+2014-05-22-1 - Realtek Drivers for RTL818x devices (RTL8187 USB)

Possible solution: USB Wireless WIFI Adapter Card with 10DBI Antenna

http://www.amazon.com/EP-6528-RTL8187L-Powerful-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B00M3ULV5I

$15.29 + Free Shipping

Catalyst0001:

Mathematical proof:

Friis Transmission Formula with Propagation Law

in line of sight environments;-

• Every 6 dBm receiver sensitivity gain will be double the distance.
  • Every 6 dBi antenna gain will be double the distance
  • Every 6 dBm Transmitter power gain will be double the distance.

@sonnyyu

I presume I will still be able to use the bridge library, whether I go with Plan A or B right?

Catalyst0001:
@sonnyyu

I presume I will still be able to use the bridge library, whether I go with Plan A or B right?

Yes.

@sonnyyu

Have you ever used MOD-WIFI-R5370-ANT for wireless communication? I’m hoping to use it to extend the range of my yun’s wifi

@sonnyyu

Sorry I found one of your posts that answers my question.

Nevertheless,
when I try to do the following

opkg install kmod-rt2800-lib kmod-rt2800-usb kmod-rt2x00-lib kmod-rt2x00-usb

I receive error messages of the form

Unknown package 'kmod-rt2800-lib'.
Unknown package 'kmod-rt2800-usb'.
Unknown package 'kmod-rt2x00-lib'.
Unknown package 'kmod-rt2x00-usb'.
Collected errors:

• opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-rt2800-lib.
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-rt2800-usb.
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-rt2x00-lib.
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-rt2x00-usb.
opkg update
opkg install kmod-rt2800-lib kmod-rt2800-usb kmod-rt2x00-lib kmod-rt2x00-usb

did that and it still gives me the same error messages

output of

uname -a

Please upgrade your Yún - latest is 1.5.3

@sonnyyu

Thank you. I finally got it to work after updating my Yun 3.3.8.
I'm now working on using the bridge library to communicate with it.