yun behaviour with wifi-live-or-reset disabled.

Hi
I have a problem with the yun behaviour when the wifi network is not available.
In the thread http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=188637.msg1395870#msg1395870
I asked the question

This means that if my wifi is not available for 60 seconds I get into a deadlock situation.
In other words If the wifi is unavailable for 60 seconds when my robot is rebooting my robot will never start again.
Can I configure yun not to do so?

on which Federico replied

Of course you can. Since you need to edit a file on the yun, I suggest you to connect to the yun with an SSH client or with some serial terminal software like cutecom or putty
Once you are in, edit /etc/rc.local and put a hash at the beginning of line “wifi-live-or-reset” so that it looks like
#wifi-live-or-reset

At next reboot, yun won’t bother if wifi is up or down

I was really happy with that untill the first time the network was actually not available.
I noticed that my yun actually went to accespoint mode on IP 192.168.240.1.
After I rebooted it behaved the same (still no network).
After I rebooted closer to the wifi ap he started and connected and worked fine.

So I reread and I noticed the phrase: “At next reboot, yun won’t bother if wifi is up or down”
That is not what I want. I want yun (when not connected to wifi) to try to connect to my wifi untill it is connected.
This is how my openwrt +arduino mega works.
Can that be done?
Best regards
Jantje

Interesting, that would help me too, because my private Wifi is disabled during sleeping times and when I turn on my Yun in this period of time, it goes to AP mode. And it will not connect to my Wifi until I turn it off and on again :-(

mamu: Interesting, that would help me too, because my private Wifi is disabled during sleeping times and when I turn on my Yun in this period of time, it goes to AP mode. And it will not connect to my Wifi until I turn it off and on again :-(

Have you also disabled the wifi-live-or-reset? Best regards Jantje

Jantje: Have you also disabled the wifi-live-or-reset? Best regards Jantje

No, still in place in the inttab.

Quoting the OP:
“I want yun (when not connected to wifi) to try to connect to my wifi untill it is connected.”

I want the same! How can we accomplish this?
only disabling “wifi-live-or-reset” in the /etc/rc.local won’t help!

(deleted)

Thank you for bringing up this topic again.

When I said that “it won’t bother” I was talking about the user experience we set up, not about the actual behaviour of the wifi interface
I did a small test: I deliberately set a wrong password for the office wifi, loaded yunserialterminal and watched laments of the wifi.
Indeed it’s trying to connect since 15 minutes (obviously with no success)

Jantje and all, I think that’s what you want, isn’t it?

attempts.txt (22.7 KB)

Frederico Is this change in behavior with the new version? What did yun do after these 15 minutes? Can I configure these 15 minutes to become forever and always?

I think the test you did is close to what I need but not relevant to me as there may be a different behavior between "wrong password" and SSID not found on the yun.

In my case the test should be : configure the yun to connect to the "office wifi". Unpower the yun Power the yun out of reach of the "office wifi". Wait for more than 15 minutes, (the test should be successful for any waiting time even though I accept connection speed to be reduced) Bring the yun inside the "office wifi" range yun fully autonomously connects to "office wifi" network within an acceptable time. (acceptable is anything below 5 minutes but I can live with longer)

Alternatively you can switch off the "office wifi" ]:D or (probably more acceptable to your colleagues) put the yun in a "office wifi" stopping cage.

Best regards Jantje

I waited 15 minutes and I haven't set any limit: it kept on trying for as long as I got enough of it :) I then reconfigured (from yunserialterminal) and rebooted.

I don't know if this behaviour is new in the new image or not. I'll try to follow your steps and keep you posted

txs

(deleted)

Any follow up on this?

Also, can someone explain the expected behaviour with default settings, ie with wifi live or reset in rc.local? If at boot, wifi is not there, I understand yun would go in ap mode.If you then reboot yun, does it stay in ap mode, irrespective of the wifi status?

Do I understand correctly that even without wifi live or reset, some users have seen the Yun switching to AP mode?