Yun mini-usb connector came off

Hi,

I've had my Yun about 3 weeks and this weekend I was unplugging the USB cable from the Yun and the entire connector separated from the board. What can I do? The seller says "sorry about your luck".

Can a new connector be purchased and soldered to the board?

Thanks,

johngalt: Can a new connector be purchased and soldered to the board?

Yes, if it was the soldering that was bad and the pads are still on the board.

However, usually when a connector is physically pulled off a board, the copper pads are also ripped off of the board. If that's the case, the repair becomes much more complicated: the connector needs to be physically mounted (usually by glue if the solder pads are gone) and the connections have to be manually made from the connector pins to the remaining traces. It needs fine wires and a delicate touch, i's not an easy job.

Posting a clear picture of the board in the area of the missing connector might yield some repair tips.

ShapeShifter,

I work at a major university in the states in the engineering department. One of our EE's attempted to solder the connector back on and was successful however unplugging the USB cable ripped it right back off. He says that if he could get a new connector he might be able to make a more sturdy fix.

Sorry about the photo, taken with my phone.

|500x375

Get part number here:

Micro USB Connectors Quick Reference Guide - Digikey

Order from Digikey.

Thank you so much sonnyyu!

sonnyyu,

Do you happen to know which part number the Yun Micro USB connector would be? There are about 13 different ones on that document.

Thanks,

johngalt: Sorry about the photo, taken with my phone.

Nothing to apologize for, it shows the problem quite clearly. 8)

It looks like you got very lucky. While the large pads that hold the connector in place have been torn off, the smaller pads that make the electrical connection appear to be intact. From the look of it, when the connector was soldered back in place, only the small electrical connections were holding the connector in place, so it's no wonder it came loose again. But it's very encouraging that neither time pulled the pads off.

It looks like the reason it won't stay is that the large pads that physically hold the connector in place have separated from the board and are still soldered to the connector. I don't think a new connector will help you, as the pads that it would be soldered to that hold in place are gone. You could unsolder the pads from the connector, and that would pretty much give you a new connector, but that won't help the situation, in fact it may make it worse.

You won't get very far without a strong mechanical connection. Personally, what I would do in your situation is carefully clean that area of the board and the mating surface of the connector (the bottom of the pads that used to be on the board that are visible in the photo.) I would probably use flux remover followed by alcohol. Then, with the board clean and dry, I would use some epoxy to glue the connector down to the board being careful that no glue goes anywhere near the contacts or inside the connector, and that the connector pins line up. Then, when the glue has cured and the connector is stable, resolder the actual contacts. The reason I say unsoldering the mounting pads from the connector might make it worse is that the pads that are still on the connector give you a good surface area for the glue, and should help to act as a shield to prevent the glue from creeping into the connector space. If you use a new connector, and remove the old pads from the old connector, you will likely have more surface area and it may be harder to keep the glue out of the connector space.

The big concern is that you have a solid physical connection between the connector and the board, the small contacts won't accomplish that. It used to be soldered down, but the mounting pads on the board have been pulled off, so you will need a more imaginative solution.

johngalt: sonnyyu,

Do you happen to know which part number the Yun Micro USB connector would be? There are about 13 different ones on that document.

Thanks,

The ODM of Yun does not release BOM (Bill of materials). To get correct part number is tough. Post a note at ODM forum?

http://www.linino.org/forum/

ShapeShifter: ... I would probably use flux remover followed by alcohol. Then, with the board clean and dry, I would use some epoxy to glue the connector down to the board being careful that no glue goes anywhere near the contacts or inside the connector, and that the connector pins line up. ...

1+

Thanks for the advise everyone. Have ordered a couple replacements from Digi-Key.

I will post repair results once we receive them.

I always pray before unplugging my Yun, I dont trust micro usb connectors.

Yes, they're only rated for 10,000 plug/unplug operations, so if you're doing that 10 times a day every day it will only last for 2 years, 270 days. You'll likely wear out several cables in the meantime.

Repairs were attempted but sadly my Yun failed to thrive.
Thanks to all who offered advise.

You can still power it from the Vin pin and use it through ssh.

Or you can try to solder data wires coming from an USB cable to the pads highlighted and 5V wire somewhere like on the capacitors on top of the red box. |500x341

Hacked hardware is always the best :smiling_imp: |500x375

You should ask for warranty, it is design fault why do they use those weak micro usb instead of a mini, not much larger anyway.

mart256: You should ask for warranty, it is design fault why do they use those weak micro usb instead of a mini, not much larger anyway.

Mini-USB is kind of dead. And micro-USB has pretty much become the standard for all phones (beside those darn Jesus phones), so that is far more common these days. Personally, I would much rather see again those proper "full size" USB connectors, they are much easier to handle, but then soooo many people complain about the size... :confused:

Ralf

mart256:
You should ask for warranty, it is design fault why do they use those weak micro usb instead of a mini, not much larger anyway.

I thought about this but the damage done was totally my fault.